Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    By the end of this year, I will have two years' experience teaching English as a foreign language in the higher education sector. (I also volunteered for a year prior to that teaching English part-time to refugees.)

At the end of this year, I'm going to be looking for another English teaching job as I can't renew my contract at the university (due to odd labour laws in the country in which I live).

Would it be worth my while taking a CELTA before I start job-hunting, or would the fact that I have 2 years' experience in a prestigious university mean that even if a job description says they want CELTA-qualified teachers, I would still be considered? (I also have a higher degree from Oxford if that makes any difference...)

Any responses appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I took my CELTA after teaching English in China for over a year. I found it incredibly valuable. Some of the other trainees had zero experience. Others had a year or two already under the belt. I think we all learnt something! I was able to observe lots of lessons, both from other trainees and very experienced qualified teachers. I got to teach a range of students from wildly different backgrounds, which really opened my eyes to the varied linguistic and cultural issues. I was able to get loads of feedback (OK, so this was a double edged sword, as the tutors could be incredibly picky and trainees didn't enjoy pulling each others lessons apart....then again some of the advice was gold).

The CELTA is quite basic in a lot of ways...my friends who stayed in the TEFL industry have moved on to the more demanding DELTA which is apparently much more in-depth, Maybe you've already had the above experiences and more as part of your job training. Then again it does seem to be the accepted 'standard' in a lot of countries as it shows you have that basic knowledge. It certainly opened a lot of doors for me in terms of teaching in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    There is a celta for those with experience too. Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee09uk)
    There is a celta for those with experience too. Lee
    Thanks both for responses.

Oh yes, is that the DELTA or something else?

ReputationRep:
    I took the CELTA in September as a part-time course before I go to university in september.

It's incredibly enlightening and is a great preparation for teaching. I'd definitely recommend it, however don't expect to be taught anything ground-breaking. The true benefit comes from having priceless teaching time with a certified teacher observing you, along with a few other peers of yours taking notes to help you improve.

You see your peers teaching, and you learn from them. You all learn from each other. Being the youngest in the group of teachers I found that my methods were a lot more unorthodox and creative compared to the other teachers who I got lots of encouragement to continue trying to do things with my creative flare.

It really is excellent, and it helps you manage time better. Came out with a Pass B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Supernova*)
    Thanks both for responses.

Oh yes, is that the DELTA or something else?
    You do DELTA after doing the CELTA, and then teaching for one (or was it three?) year(s) with one institution as a full-time teacher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.