Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying abroad: the best states in the USA? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm applying to study abroad in the US but really stuck as to where. Ideally I'd love to go on a road trip whilst I'm there, so I want to go to a city that has a lot of interesting and cool states surrounding it!
    Any suggestions on ANYTHING about studying in the US please let me know! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're interested in! The typical "US experience" would be somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast - you can easily visit New York, Baltimore, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc, and even get out to Chicago. However, I'm from the US, and I would recommend studying in the Southwest (somewhere like Phoenix, perhaps). The culture is interesting, landscapes are beautiful, cities are quite modern, and the weather's nice. Definitely a great place for road-tripping and such.

(Original post by Username *)
    Hey guys, I'm applying to study abroad in the US but really stuck as to where. Ideally I'd love to go on a road trip whilst I'm there, so I want to go to a city that has a lot of interesting and cool states surrounding it!
    Any suggestions on ANYTHING about studying in the US please let me know! Thanks
    Go study in LA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evan241)
    It depends what you're interested in! The typical "US experience" would be somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast - you can easily visit New York, Baltimore, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc, and even get out to Chicago. However, I'm from the US, and I would recommend studying in the Southwest (somewhere like Phoenix, perhaps). The culture is interesting, landscapes are beautiful, cities are quite modern, and the weather's nice. Definitely a great place for road-tripping and such.
    Oo awesome, yeah I'd love to go road tripping! Unfortunately there aren't any universities that I can apply to in Arizona, and the only nearby states are New Mexico, California and Utah. Which of these is closer to the "US experience"? The main thing I wanna do is road trip (see deserts, beaches etc.) but still be near/in a big city to see as many shops as I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Go study in LA
    I'd love to! Even if I don't study there I will make sure to visit

ReputationRep:
    Oo awesome, yeah I'd love to go road tripping! Unfortunately there aren't any universities that I can apply to in Arizona, and the only nearby states are New Mexico, California and Utah. Which of these is closer to the "US experience"? The main thing I wanna do is road trip (see deserts, beaches etc.) but still be near/in a big city to see as many shops as I can
    If you want road tripping, beaches, desert, and a big city (plus the typical "US experience", I would say probably somewhere in California! I love San Francisco, so I definitely would recommend it. It's beautiful, there's a ton of public transit, very multicultural.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Do any of the Ivy League colleges appeal to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to! Even if I don't study there I will make sure to visit
    If you want the proper US experience, go to LA and then travel to the surrounding cities/states. Flights start from $60/one way on AA.

If you do end up in the US, pick an airline that you'll use the most for domestic and international flights, it's usually AA or UA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evan241)
    If you want road tripping, beaches, desert, and a big city (plus the typical "US experience", I would say probably somewhere in California! I love San Francisco, so I definitely would recommend it. It's beautiful, there's a ton of public transit, very multicultural.
    Thanks! I'll have a look around san francisco then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Do any of the Ivy League colleges appeal to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hah no I can't apply to any of those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    If you want the proper US experience, go to LA and then travel to the surrounding cities/states. Flights start from $60/one way on AA.

If you do end up in the US, pick an airline that you'll use the most for domestic and international flights, it's usually AA or UA.
    Oh that's not bad! Definitely wanna be in California, seems like the best state really, then I'll travel from there

ReputationRep:
    California is an awesome state but is pretty expensive! If you can't study there I would recommend anywhere in the Southwest really, it's cheap to live in, beautiful scenery and natural parks, few hours drive away to California. Arizona and Utah as others suggest are pretty awesome!

I also love the South, people are super friendly and sports are HUGE. Tennessee and North Carolina are my favourites ☀️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B104)
    California is an awesome state but is pretty expensive! If you can't study there I would recommend anywhere in the Southwest really, it's cheap to live in, beautiful scenery and natural parks, few hours drive away to California. Arizona and Utah as others suggest are pretty awesome!

I also love the South, people are super friendly and sports are HUGE. Tennessee and North Carolina are my favourites ☀️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right! I would love to go to Arizona but there are no unis affiliated with my uni's exchange programme and Utah is a bit too far I think

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're after, i applied to study abroad and my first choice is in Washington DC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tolaaa)
    Depends what you're after, i applied to study abroad and my first choice is in Washington DC
    Cool! You'll be able to see NY too, not too far I just hate how big the US is though, could be driving for hrs and still be in the same state!

ReputationRep:
    Cool! You'll be able to see NY too, not too far I just hate how big the US is though, could be driving for hrs and still be in the same state!
    I know what you mean, I drove with my family from NY to FL and it took days! We had to stop over at a hotel and everything, don't know if i'd go through that stress again haha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.