Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether I should take triple science or not. I feel like I only like the idea of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lossyb)
    I was wondering whether I should take triple science or not. I'm in the top 20 in the year (150 people) but I feel like I only like the idea of it
    What do you mean by you feel like you only like the idea of it?
    If you enjoy the subjects, you should take triple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    What do you mean by you feel like you only like the idea of it?
    If you enjoy the subjects, you should take triple.
    I mean that i like the sound of it but I think i may struggle

ReputationRep:
    Well if you have the motivation to succeed in science then do it. If not, just do core. I think its much easier, we don't have to do the whole extension unit and the exams are spread over r years
    So don't worry about it, a good grade in either is valuable

ReputationRep:
    Discuss it with your teacher.

The workload is huge, and now with linear exams etc. you will have to take all 9 science exams during the summer of Y11 along with all your other exams.

Only take it if you have a passion for science and you think you could get 3Bs across the board IMHO - although most who pick TS get As and A*s (at least at my school). Getting at least a 6A in Y9 is a good indicator to whether or not to take TS. Although the step up from KS3 is massive in terms of workload.

At my school I have 6 lessons per week, 2 revision sessions per week, 3 pieces of science homework to complete, usually a couple of progress checks and a past paper to complete on some weeks. Think what you're doing now - 3/4 lessons per week and 1/2 pieces of homework. Although my school's workload could be quite extreme and the reason why most get As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it if you enjoy the sciences. I'm a bit biased towards science but I really enjoyed triple science so I'd recommend it.

However, if you feel like you won't enjoy it that much to the point where it impacts your chances of success in it then consider just core and additional. You certainly seem to have the ability to do it though if you're in the top 20 of the year so if you do take it and work hard, a good grade is certainly achievable.

ReputationRep:
    Do it, it will mean if you want to do AS bio/chem/phys it will be easier. Top 20 in the year? At our school we had 2 sets doing it (nearly 60 students)........ (140 students in the year)

it'd be crazy not to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lossyb)
    I mean that i like the sound of it but I think i may struggle
    I think you should take it. It isn't actually that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Every one at my school did triple science unless they were in the bottom set. Looked at the AQA textbooks and the difference for triple is just a little bit more depth.

Personally I think TS is the way to go if you are considering a science A level, it gives you a better grounding.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my school does triple science except for a selected few. There's not much different between doing double and triple; it's just a bit more content. And if you're in the top 20 I don't really see why you wouldn't take triple science.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing triple science and I'd say only pick triple science if you want to do it at a level or when you're older or if you want an extra gcse as you get 3 for science instead of 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.