Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I could do with some help her guys.... seriously... any help you can give me is going to be great because i really dont have a clue about this.....

Someone i know is finding it hard... they are in thier final year at Uni (training to be a teacher)

Can they actually graduate from uni without passing the QTS ?

When they started Uni they were told yes you can graduate without passing you will just need to re-sit the exams at a later date if you wish to be a propper teacher but if you dont want to do that you can still be a suply teacher or work in an Accademy or private school whithout the QTS....

Now in her final year ...

She has been told that they may not be able to graduate at all if they fail the QTS ... and ... that she only has 3 chances to pass both the Maths and the English Exams. She has sat them both (Maths once and English twice) but has sadly failed to meet the pass grade ( 4 marks out on one and 3 marks out on the other)

Our understanding is that if she sits the English again and fails to meet the grade then that is it... game over... she will not be able to graduate at all under the new rules. (as this would mean she has sat the English 3 times and failed to pass) Is this the case???

Really what we need to know is..... CAN SHE STILL GRADUATE IF SHE DOES NOT PASS THE QTS???

We have enquired at the University but they can not seem to come up with a straight answer and have left us even more woried than we were in the first place. Eveyone we ask seems to come up with the same answer.... "we dont know.... i will look in to it and get back (but dont) or finally... let me put you on hold or pass you to someone who can help" (and put the phone down)

So please... if anyone can help.... thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    When you say Maths and English tests, are you talking about the QTS literacy and numeracy tests? If so, if you don't pass them within 3 attempts, there's a 2 year lock out period. I'm not sure how it would work with private schools and supply work, but I believe you wouldn't be able to work at a state school because you wouldn't have been awarded QTS. I imagine you would just graduate without it.

ReputationRep:
    You can graduate - ie get the B.Ed, but not with QTS ( which is a separate thing) so then you couldn't teach in a state school for any job where QTS was required -until it is passed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.