The Student Room Group

Making a wireless router?

At work we have a non-wireless router. Apart from buying a wireless router, is there a way to make it wireless, or something we can plug into the computer to broadcast the signal perhaps?
Original post by Hopple
At work we have a non-wireless router. Apart from buying a wireless router, is there a way to make it wireless, or something we can plug into the computer to broadcast the signal perhaps?

You can run an ad hoc network off that computer through its hardware, and then connect the other devices to the its network. The computer will have to be on all the time to use the network, and it might be slower than using a proper router - you can get one for under £20 on Amazon.
Reply 2
Original post by jameswhughes
You can run an ad hoc network off that computer through its hardware, and then connect the other devices to the its network. The computer will have to be on all the time to use the network, and it might be slower than using a proper router - you can get one for under £20 on Amazon.

I'm not sure it has the hardware to do much, and it's Windows XP :redface:

I've considered replacing the router as a last resort given that it's not really up to us to be swapping things out and I think we'd have more luck with adding stuff or using what (little) is already there. Can a wireless router be plugged into the current router?
Original post by Hopple

I've considered replacing the router as a last resort given that it's not really up to us to be swapping things out and I think we'd have more luck with adding stuff or using what (little) is already there. Can a wireless router be plugged into the current router?

That shouldn't stop it, if it has the hardware to pick up wifi then it can become a router itself - Google "Windows XP ad hoc network" and there should be plenty of instructions around.

You should be able to plug a new router into the existing one too, just connect it with an Ethernet cable. :smile:
Reply 4
That shouldn't stop it, if it has the hardware to pick up wifi then it can become a router itself - Google "Windows XP ad hoc network" and there should be plenty of instructions around.

You should be able to plug a new router into the existing one too, just connect it with an Ethernet cable. :smile:

Thanks, I'll try this one :smile: I'm not sure if it can connect wirelessly but it's worth a go, and if not I'll use an extra router.

Before you do this, make sure that the wireless router is on the same subnet as the normal router. You will also need to turn off the DHCP server on the wireless router.
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
Before you do this, make sure that the wireless router is on the same subnet as the normal router. You will also need to turn off the DHCP server on the wireless router.

This!

Alternatively you can also get wireless access points (or some routers can be configured as an AP), this makes it act as a bridge between the wired and wireless networks (if it's an AP it shouldn't run a DHCP server or do any of the other nasty things routers can do)

Personally I'd stay away from using a PC as an access point.

Original post by Hopple

You should probably get someone to look at your companies IT. XP is pretty old and hasn't been supported for almost a year. That means all the bugs the hackers have found in the last year won't get fixed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending