Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    By drawing Venn diagrams show that
    A ⊆ B ∩ C if and only if A ∪ B = B and A ∩ C = A.

How would you do this?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by khanpatel321)
    By drawing Venn diagrams show that
    A ⊆ B ∩ C if and only if A ∪ B = B and A ∩ C = A.

How would you do this?
    Draw a general Venn diagram with three sets, and identify what it means on that Venn diagram for AuB=B and A int C = A. Then identify what it means on a different copy of the general Venn diagram for A to be a subset of B int C. Compare your results, noting that they are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Draw a general Venn diagram with three sets, and identify what it means on that Venn diagram for AuB=B and A int C = A. Then identify what it means on a different copy of the general Venn diagram for A to be a subset of B int C. Compare your results, noting that they are the same.

AuB=B I can draw this but don't know how to draw the other one, I shaded the part where they both intersect however this does not include all of A so it can't be equal to A?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    AuB=B I can draw this but don't know how to draw the other one, I shaded the part where they both intersect however this does not include all of A so it can't be equal to A?
    A \cap C = C means that a certain part of the Venn diagram must in fact be empty. It does include all of A, and so the bit which your diagram includes which isn't in C, must in fact not appear on the diagram. I'd denote that by writing in the "A without C" section something like "empty".

ReputationRep:
    A \cap C = C means that a certain part of the Venn diagram must in fact be empty. It does include all of A, and so the bit which your diagram includes which isn't in C, must in fact not appear on the diagram. I'd denote that by writing in the "A without C" section something like "empty".
    do you mean = A ? not C?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    do you mean = A ? not C?
    Yes, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    The mark scheme say's this

Solution:
    An obvious drawing: in the Venn diagram for A∪B,
    the bit of A which does not belong to B sticks out of B; in the

Venn diagram for A ∩ C, the bit of A which does not belong
    to C sticks out of A ∩ C

What do you do next?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    bump
    Better to quote me directly like this, so that I get a notification

I've re-phrased what you've written, and made one further step: drawing the Venn diagram corresponding to "A union B = B, and A int C = A". Draw the Venn diagram corresponding to "A subset (B intersect C)"; you should find that you've ended up with the same diagram.

Incidentally, this question is much easier without Venn diagrams. A \cap C = A implies "everything in A is also in C" (because everything in the right-hand side must be in the left-hand side, and therefore must be in both A and C). That is, A is a subset of C. And so on.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Better to quote me directly like this, so that I get a notification

I've re-phrased what you've written, and made one further step: drawing the Venn diagram corresponding to "A union B = B, and A int C = A". Draw the Venn diagram corresponding to "A subset (B intersect C)"; you should find that you've ended up with the same diagram.

Incidentally, this question is much easier without Venn diagrams. A \cap C = A implies "everything in A is also in C" (because everything in the right-hand side must be in the left-hand side, and therefore must be in both A and C). That is, A is a subset of C. And so on.
    Ohh I see, thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.