Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm surrounded by stupid people nearly all the time. Especially my family. I have never once has an intellectual discussion with any of my family members (there are 8 of them!!!!).

I do love them but they are REALLY thick. The only people in my family who are decently smart are my younger brother (who is too young to talk to) and my mother (who can barely speak english).

Everyday I'm locked away in my room reading books with no-one to talk to.

I also go to a crappy state school, and everyone their thinks I am some sort of freaky genius when I am in fact I'm probably average.

Tbh it just drains me when I can't discuss ideas on anything. It doesn't even have to be complex. I am not even sophisticated enough for that.

I've always thought that I was just being nasty, but now I realise the truth.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Edit:

Oh God!!!

In hindsight I sound like such a *******.

Please ignore or insult.

ReputationRep:
    ohhh....Bless....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)
    I'm surrounded by stupid people nearly all the time. Especially my family. I have never once has an intellectual discussion with any of my family members (there are 8 of them!!!!).

I do love them but they are REALLY thick. The only people in my family who are decently smart are my younger brother (who is too young to talk to) and my mother (who can barely speak english).

I also go to a crappy state school, and everyone their thinks I am some sort of freaky genius when I am in fact I'm probably average.

Tbh it just drains me when I can't discuss ideas on anything. It doesn't even have to be complex. I am not even sophisticated enough for that.

Definitely sympathise with you there, reminds me of my childhood to a point. I just got on with it really, not much you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
    Definitely sympathise with you there, reminds me of my childhood to a point. I just got on with it really, not much you can do.
    I guess I should be glad i've got TSR but sometimes it just feels a lot better to be talking to real people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should be glad i've got TSR but sometimes it just feels a lot better to be talking to real people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found that actively making an effort to talk to people at school helped, even if they weren't the kind of friends you hoped of making.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty pig ignorant of you to assume everyone around you in school is thick.

Maybe they don't feel like sharing their intellectuality with you, or find you dull?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yeah, my parents and brother are soooo thick too.

Parents dropped out of school at 16, my brother got Bs in GCSEs but failed all a levels except IT (grade E)

He is now resitting his a levels and doing btec business studies at College not 6th form.

My sister is 12 and is too young to judge, but she is very lazy like my brother and i expect she will be the same. Its annoying having thick parents, but makes you feel good you know more than them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Pretty pig ignorant of you to assume everyone around you in school is thick.

Maybe they don't feel like sharing their intellectuality with you, or find you dull?
    I didn't say everyone at school is thick.
    I simply meant that my intelligence is exaggerated for achieving well from an academic viewpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of the human race is stupid to some degree. Some of the most logical problem solvers I know have no academic intelligence at all, and some of the most academic wouldn't know common sense if it hit them. To get someone who's smart in every sense of the word is pretty rare.

ReputationRep:
    On the bright side, unis usually give out lower offers for those from shifty comprehensives.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with you, I'm in a similar boat. I feel like people at my school and the people around me are very immature, or maybe it's true that I'm beyond my years (told by my counsellor, sister and old woman I met at hospital once). There's nothing you can do about this apart from soldier on and hope that the future will hold something better for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you come to the write place. This is a student forum and so theres bound to be plenty of intellectually gifted characters here. Im quite brainy myself.

Anyway I just purchased a new telescope and I heard about gravitational lensing making it possible to see some of the most distant objects in the universe. How does gravitational lenses work and where can I buy one?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.