Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my GF and I had a good conversation yesterday.

I asked if she still needed some time, and she responds with "Why? I've missed you".

I then let her know I got her a gift and she goes "Is that your way to stop me breaking up with you?"

I tell her "no" and she goes "I'm only joking".

I can understand why this might be a joke, because we tease each other a lot, it's very common ....

However she has never joked about breaking up with me.

Let me know please thanks!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think it was a joke, which girl in a world should say 'I missed yiu' and then be serious about breaking up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lNurl)
    I think it was a joke, which girl in a world should say 'I missed yiu' and then be serious about breaking up.
    Thanks for the quick reply ... yeah I've been thinking the same.

We tease each other a lot anyway, we enjoy a lot of banter, so it's likely it's a joke ... but it's not really the best time after an argument

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, probably a joke. I reckon you've overalanysed the tone she said it in so much by now that you're making yourself think otherwise
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Thanks for the quick reply ... yeah I've been thinking the same.

We tease each other a lot anyway, we enjoy a lot of banter, so it's likely it's a joke ... but it's not really the best time after an argument
    Don't worry I'm sure it was a joke anyways ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Smith)
    Agreed, probably a joke. I reckon you've overalanysed the tone she said it in so much by now that you're making yourself think otherwise
    Yeah, you're definitely right about the over-analysing side. I do hope it's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're definitely right about the over-analysing side. I do hope it's a joke.
    Been there myself more than I care to remember mate, I wouldn't worry, swings and roundabouts and all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Smith)
    Been there myself more than I care to remember mate, I wouldn't worry, swings and roundabouts and all that

She's pretty stressed at the moment too ... I'll give it a few days, or until she sorts her Maths coursework and we'll see where we're at.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a joke a bit too far... I would relax tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    I think it's a joke a bit too far... I would relax tho

Yeah, I think it was a joke too, I just overthought it because it is indeed a bit too far.

ReputationRep:
    She was probably afraid the present was a peace offering towards something she may not be prepared to hear. I think she could have been taken back by her own response to have awkwardly said she was only joking. Hope this helps if that was it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glycerin)
    She was probably afraid the present was a peace offering towards something she may not be prepared to hear. I think she could have been taken back by her own response to have awkwardly said she was only joking. Hope this helps if that was it.
    Well it's weird if she called for 2 weeks space and then contact me 3 days into it only to just get freaked out it might me a 'piece offering'.

So are you saying she wasn't joking about the break up part?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's weird if she called for 2 weeks space and then contact me 3 days into it only to just get freaked out it might me a 'piece offering'.

So are you saying she wasn't joking about the break up part?
    It sounds like she thought you may have considered that weeks space as a break up. I'll stick with my theory of the gift being a peace offering to her then unleds you both normally get gifts i suppose there would be nothing out of character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glycerin)
    It sounds like she thought you may have considered that weeks space as a break up. I'll stick with my theory of the gift being a peace offering to her then unleds you both normally get gifts i suppose there would be nothing out of character.

Right, but it still doesn't really answer my question.

Was she being serious, or was it just a joke?

The gift was initially going to be a surprise but I let slip that I was going to give it to her.

We've given gifts to each other before, like birthday gifts and Christmas gifts, so I don't know what you mean by 'nothing out of character'.

ReputationRep:
    Right, but it still doesn't really answer my question.

Was she being serious, or was it just a joke?

The gift was initially going to be a surprise but I let slip that I was going to give it to her.

We've given gifts to each other before, like birthday gifts and Christmas gifts, so I don't know what you mean by 'nothing out of character'.
    I mean gifts at random times to show you're thinking of each other. I don't think there was anything to the joke : she stated she missed you and brought up the gift as a joke as that was possibly your way of showing you missed her too. It was a joke - not a very nice one - she showed embarrassment over for that mistake. Would imagine i'd feel pretty guilty for going no contact only to receive a surprise gift, it could have been difficult to reciprocate appropriately, but it doesnt mean she has intentions to break up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.