Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's wrong with my hair and how do I go about treating it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My hair used to be really silky and smooth, for the past 5 years or so however it looks horrible. My main problem is that I am a novice when it comes to hair so I can't identify what the problem is, right now my hair looks kind of like Emma Watson's does in the picture below, with hair sticking out everywhere, so no matter what I do it never looks neat.

What is this? I'm sure it's not split ends, is it frizz? (I don't think it is). How do I fix it so my hair looks smooth again?

It's bothering me even more lately because everyone around me still has smooth hair, and mine looks haywire which makes me quiet self-conscious.

A bit of background:

I don't dye my hair, when I was younger I used to henna it, and I did use chemical dyes a few times but I haven't dyed it for about 5 years.

I don't use any hair products. My hair is always left open. I use straighteners, but only once or twice a week.

The two main bad things I do in terms of the way I treat my hair, are: (1) I go to sleep with wet hair a lot (2) I really roughly comb my hair, pulling it quite hard to get knots out in the mornings when I'm in a rush to get to work.

I just want to get my hair back to it's healthy state, I need advice on how to do this. I've already stopped sleeping with wet hair and roughly brushing it, but what can I do to stop it looking haywire (very much like in the pic below) I know it can take a long time to fix, but I want to know how to start because at the moment I have no clue.

Thank-You.

Name:  20939249.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  51.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Firstly when did you last have your hair cut because leaving it more than 6 months can really damage it and would cause split ends which would make your hair look like hers does in the picture
    Secondly how often do you wash it because washing it too often, so every day can strip your hair of the natural oils and again damage it and make it look like that
    Thirdly try using a different shampoo and conditioner because that can sometimes affect it.
    Lastly try and cut down on the straighteners even using them once a week can seriously damage your hair, split it and make it go frizzy so try and blow dry it straight instead or if it really is necessary make sure you use loads of heat spray to stop the heat burning your hair.
    In the short term you should go to a hairdressers and get their opinion on it but you might want to start using Moroccan oil on your hair after you have washed it. it is quite expensive but you only need a small amount and i find that it really helps treat damaged hair like what you have described and it helps stop your hair going frizzy like that when it dries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.