Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Hoping someone could help. During Christmas, I did a "one day work experience" at a city firm where I assisted the paralegals in ad hoc admin duties in one of their biggest departments (Employment). It was an immensely educational experience which confirmed my belief that this is the route I want to take.
    My predicament is that I did not receive any reference letter from this as it was arranged informally through a family friend. Can I still mention it on my CV?

ReputationRep:
    Yes with reference to those who held it but you should try hard to get one as it could become an issue when proving and can be overlooked

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course you should still mention it! It's good experience, well done. List what you did - you obviously think it was only one day but you did well to get it and got a lot out of it so it's good.

I think I must have missed something - I don't use any of my law work ex as a reference for my applications - I use one work one and one academic reference. You can only really get a ref on a decent amount of work ex eg two weeks - when you can actually get something done they can comment on - other than 'turned up. Wore a suit. Asked some questions' So, just use other refs. You get to tell them who your refs are in general, unless they require one from your last employer, which i am guessing, won't apply to you.

(Original post by leo68)
    Hi all!

Hoping someone could help. During Christmas, I did a "one day work experience" at a silver circle firm where I assisted the paralegals in ad hoc admin duties in one of their biggest departments (Employment). It was an immensely educational experience which confirmed my belief that this is the route I want to take.
    My predicament is that I did not receive any reference letter from this as it was arranged informally through a family friend. Can I still mention it on my CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    Yes of course you should still mention it! It's good experience, well done. List what you did - you obviously think it was only one day but you did well to get it and got a lot out of it so it's good.

I think I must have missed something - I don't use any of my law work ex as a reference for my applications - I use one work one and one academic reference. You can only really get a ref on a decent amount of work ex eg two weeks - when you can actually get something done they can comment on - other than 'turned up. Wore a suit. Asked some questions' So, just use other refs. You get to tell them who your refs are in general, unless they require one from your last employer, which i am guessing, won't apply to you.
    Thank you for your advice. The reason I was worried about references was because I have no evidence to show that I did my work experience, in case a prospective employer would ask.
    The person I worked with the most has left the job and I doubt he would find time to write a reference letter for me anyway (which I totally appreciate). But its reassuring to find that it is acceptable to mention the experience on my cv so thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo68)
    Thank you for your advice. The reason I was worried about references was because I have no evidence to show that I did my work experience, in case a prospective employer would ask.
    The person I worked with the most has left the job and I doubt he would find time to write a reference letter for me anyway (which I totally appreciate). But its reassuring to find that it is acceptable to mention the experience on my cv so thanks again!
    Please don't worry about it. I really doubt that anyone would ask; there is not enough experience there for you to give a good account of yourself anyway - you are obviously a straight up sort - no-one will doubt what you say! People move on at work all the time.

You'll be fine, you sound very honest and employable to me
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Any legal experience is desirable. Even if you don't think it is particularly impressive, I'd include it. You won't need a reference.

If anyone is interested, they'll email the firm you worked with - just try and include a name:

"A work experience placement at X and X and X LLP under <partner name> I..."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.