Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nigel Farage's suggestion of a privatised NHS flares tensions within UKIP Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Independent)
    Ukip is facing pre-election turmoil after policy differences and personality clashes burst into the open, with the party’s health spokeswoman slapping down Nigel Farage’s suggestion the NHS could eventually be privatised.

Amid signs of in-fighting and internal rivalry, a senior source admitted last night that the mood in Ukip’s higher echelons had become “scratchy and irritable” ahead of the 7 May ballots.

There is also dismay in parts of the party over the slow progress in compiling its manifesto, with the MEP responsible for drafting the document revealed to have recently relinquished responsibility for the task.

A fresh spotlight was shone on Ukip’s growing pains yesterday in a BBC interview when the party leader raised the prospect of ultimately replacing the state-funded NHS with an insurance-based healthcare system.

While stressing his party remained committed to healthcare free at the point of delivery, Mr Farage indicated it was “a debate that we are all going to have to return to” because of Britain’s rapidly ageing population.

Ukip’s health spokeswoman Louise Bours swiftly contradicted her leader as she insisted the vast majority of party members “will always favour a state-funded NHS”.

Ms Bours said: “Nigel is entitled to his opinion and others are entitled to theirs, we don’t whip people into all thinking the same thing, like the establishment parties.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...p-9991340.html

An interesting comment from Farage that he thinks we will have to replace the NHS with an insurance-based healthcare system in the future. What implications might these words have upon voters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...p-9991340.html

An interesting comment from Farage that he thinks we will have to replace the NHS with an insurance-based healthcare system in the future. What implications might these words have upon voters?
    Would this make our system much more similar to the American one?

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting comments, the NHS is one of the few reasons that would stop me from moving abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Would this make our system much more similar to the American one?
    Yeah, I assume he's thinking of something like Obamacare. Healthcare would become a commodity which the poor would be unable to afford without being put in huge amounts of debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Disgusting comments, the NHS is one of the few reasons that would stop me from moving abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's certainly not perfect but I do think it is still a tribute to the country and something we should fight to keep!

ReputationRep:
    All I want is UKIP to remove tuition fees and I will be happy!! They claim that they will do this for all science and maths courses so that's why I am voting them this year. But they could just be lying to us like most politicians :mad:.

ReputationRep:
    A privatised NHS sounds like a terrible idea. Flaring tensions within UKIP sounds like a good idea, though.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a little odd that the self-professed defender of British values wants to destroy perhaps the most British institution there is.

(Original post by Raymat)
    All I want is UKIP to remove tuition fees and I will be happy!! They claim that they will do this for all science and maths courses so that's why I am voting them this year. But they could just be lying to us like most politicians :mad:.
    The Green party will scrap all tution fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Seems a little odd that the self-professed defender of British values wants to destroy perhaps the most British institution there is.

The Green party will scrap all tution fees.
    Not all politicians will do what they claim they will do. This is probably just an attempt to gain more votes. At least I am confident that UKIP will tighten immigration. What are the Green Party's policies on immigration? Is it anywhere near as good as UKIP's policies on immigration?

ReputationRep:
    We need to reduce the services that the NHS can provide and have those services properly privatised rather than a state supply+private profit model.

A central European insurance system is suprerior to the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    We need to reduce the services that the NHS can provide and have those services properly privatised rather than a state supply+private profit model.

A central European insurance system is suprerior to the NHS.
    According to who exactly?

ReputationRep:
    According to who exactly?
    Who do you think? Me, you idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think? Me, you idiot.
    Oh, I just wondered if you actually had anything to back up you opinion (something like the many in-depth studies that show the NHS to be superior to the European systems). Looks like you don't and you're just spouting nonsense then.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just wondered if you actually had anything to back up you opinion (something like the many in-depth studies that show the NHS to be superior to the European systems). Looks like you don't and you're just spouting nonsense then.
    It's not my responsibility to convince you. I could never change your mind anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my responsibility to convince you. I could never change your mind anyway.
    Of course you couldn't, all you have on your side is belief and no substance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.