The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelsohphia
Im an international student and I have received offers from both King's and LSE, reading War Studies&History and Government&History respectively.
It's really hard for me to choose from, could anyone gimme some pieces of advice on their differences in terms of teaching, learning atmosphere, hall/residential atmosphere, reputation etc?

thanks!

Reputation wise, LSE by miles. KCL is still excellent in it's own right, is bigger as a uni and probably offers a better all round student experience. LSE is tiny, more like a small school than a university, but the prestige in the UK and overseas is solid.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Reputation wise, LSE by miles. KCL is still excellent in it's own right, is bigger as a uni and probably offers a better all round student experience. LSE is tiny, more like a small school than a university, but the prestige in the UK and overseas is solid.

As someone who's studied at the LSE and KCL, I strongly disagree with Blitzkrieg15. LSE has a better overall reputation than KCL, but War Studies is one of the premier departments at KCL and its reputation is very strong world-wide. Of course the Government department at the LSE has a strong reputation too...it really comes down to the sector within which you want to build a career. The teaching and learning atmosphere should be similar at both, though LSE is decidedly more left and KCL tends to be a bit more conservative. I can't speak to the halls.
Original post by War and Peace
As someone who's studied at the LSE and KCL, I strongly disagree with Blitzkrieg15. LSE has a better overall reputation than KCL, but War Studies is one of the premier departments at KCL and its reputation is very strong world-wide. Of course the Government department at the LSE has a strong reputation too...it really comes down to the sector within which you want to build a career. The teaching and learning atmosphere should be similar at both, though LSE is decidedly more left and KCL tends to be a bit more conservative. I can't speak to the halls.

I'm sure KCL is strong in some subjects, as is UCL. But the LSE brand is much stronger in the UK and overseas, you don't turn them down without exceptional reasons. I didn't study at either, but I have been in and out of both unis frequently the last few years. KCL certainly appears to have more to see and do from what I saw in Holborn. LSE is just a 2 min short walk away, the student bar is quite good, but not much else on offer.

War and Peace is right. It depends on your career path. War Studies are probably for those aiming to go into particular government departments such as diplomatic corp. Govt and Economics is good for almost any career. So, if you are not looking for a government career in specific positions where you can make the best use of War Studies, then perhaps LSE is the place to go. If government is where you want to be, then War Studies is a powerful signal of your career aspirations. Just going through the logics. :smile:
Original post by GandalfWhite
War and Peace is right. It depends on your career path. War Studies are probably for those aiming to go into particular government departments such as diplomatic corp. Govt and Economics is good for almost any career. So, if you are not looking for a government career in specific positions where you can make the best use of War Studies, then perhaps LSE is the place to go. If government is where you want to be, then War Studies is a powerful signal of your career aspirations. Just going through the logics. :smile:

If one is hell bent on their subject and career aspirations solely in that field, then the exceptional case for KCL or UCL for War Studies becomes stronger. Otherwise it has to be LSE for overall career prospects and prestige, and by some distance over KCL.
(edited 9 years ago)
If one is hell bent on their subject and career aspirations solely in that field, then the exceptional case for KCL or UCL for War Studies becomes stronger. Otherwise it has to be LSE for overall career prospects and prestige, and by some distance over KCL.

UCL doesn't do War Studies. Also, it's simply untrue to say that KCL for most IR-related employment is "some distance" behind LSE in prospects and prestige. Look at IISS, Chatham House, and RUSI...they are filled with KCL and LSE graduates. Heck, Sir Michael Howard, founder of KCL's War Studies Department, helped found IISS and he remains an influential figure at the institution. One finds the same sort of representation for both KCL and the LSE at top think tanks in the US. These are the sort of jobs many LSE (and KCL) graduates are hoping to land. If the OP is planning on going into IB or wants to go on to pursue a PhD in economics, then LSE would far and away be the better choice. However, again, this is not the case in most IR-related fields. One would hope the OP's future interests are related to his or her degree program.

PS: Blitzkrieg15, as an aside, it's funny that you seem to be unfamiliar with KCL's War Studies Department when your handle includes the term "lighting war." Here's are a few links:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_War_Studies,_King%27s_College_London
Source: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/index.aspx
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Howard_(historian)
UCL doesn't do War Studies. Also, it's simply untrue to say that KCL for most IR-related employment is "some distance" behind LSE in prospects and prestige. Look at IISS, Chatham House, and RUSI...they are filled with KCL and LSE graduates. Heck, Sir Michael Howard, founder of KCL's War Studies Department, helped found IISS and he remains an influential figure at the institution. One finds the same sort of representation for both KCL and the LSE at top think tanks in the US. These are the sort of jobs many LSE (and KCL) graduates are hoping to land. If the OP is planning on going into IB or wants to go on to pursue a PhD in economics, then LSE would far and away be the better choice. However, again, this is not the case in most IR-related fields. One would hope the OP's future interests are related to his or her degree program.

PS: Blitzkrieg15, as an aside, it's funny that you seem to be unfamiliar with KCL's War Studies Department when your handle includes the term "lighting war." Here's are a few links:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_War_Studies,_King%27s_College_London
Source: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/index.aspx
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Howard_(historian)

So you are getting down about KCL not being valued? It is excellent, it just isn't LSE level, even for Law.
I agree with everything others have said above.
So you are getting down about KCL not being valued? It is excellent, it just isn't LSE level, even for Law.

It not being valued by you? No.
(edited 9 years ago)

That statement makes it very clear that you don't know what you're talking about. KCL is pretty good for law, but like most other subjects its a little way behind LSE, UCL and Oxbridge. However, specifically for War Studies and International Relations, it is a different story altogether. Oxbridge UCL and LSE don't do War Studies, so KCL attracts the highest level of candidate and academic in the WORLD. David Cameron's old PPE tutor has transferred from Oxford to KCL. Compared to an LSE degree in history, not its strongest subject, its a difficult choice.
Original post by Copperknickers
That statement makes it very clear that you don't know what you're talking about. KCL is pretty good for law

Did I say KCL wasn't good for Law? I know it is a top 5 law school. You are getting down over KCL not being perceived as good as LSE where the same subjects are offered.
(edited 9 years ago)
That statement makes it very clear that you don't know what you're talking about. KCL is pretty good for law, but like most other subjects its a little way behind LSE, UCL and Oxbridge. However, specifically for War Studies and International Relations, it is a different story altogether. Oxbridge UCL and LSE don't do War Studies, so KCL attracts the highest level of candidate and academic in the WORLD. David Cameron's old PPE tutor has transferred from Oxford to KCL. Compared to an LSE degree in history, not its strongest subject, its a difficult choice.

This is a meaningless and juvenile point.

I think it is nonsense to say KCL is not at the same level with LSE for Law.

We cannot categorically say which is best because little date exist about prestige in this field.

But there are 2 points than can be made:

- LSE just did slightly (very slightly) better than KCL in the recent REF assessment in Law. It also has the larger department.

- KCL has better alumni for Law than LSE.

For Law, I would say they are on the same level and if any is better, it is very slight. Both are behind Oxbridge.
LSE > Kings, no exceptions
Original post by LutherVan
I think it is nonsense to say KCL is not at the same level with LSE for Law.

We cannot categorically say which is best because little date exist about prestige in this field.

But there are 2 points than can be made:

- LSE just did slightly (very slightly) better than KCL in the recent REF assessment in Law. It also has the larger department.

- KCL has better alumni for Law than LSE.

For Law, I would say they are on the same level and if any is better, it is very slight. Both are behind Oxbridge.

If you want to go to KCL for Law, do so. There will always be people who have differing views, learn to respect them, and not get upset or arrogant about it. I'd choose LSE over KCL, but I would be happy to attend KCL as second choice.
If you want to go to KCL for Law, do so. There will always be people who have differing views, learn to respect them, and not get upset or arrogant about it. I'd choose LSE over KCL, but I would be happy to attend KCL as second choice.

So would I.

All I am saying different is don't say the law departments are at different levels. They are on the same level.
Did I say KCL wasn't good for Law?

No, but 'even for law' implies that you think Law is KCL's standout department and the only one which has a chance of competing with LSE. It is pretty good, but its far from the best. The best is War Studies. As in, not top 5 in UK, top 1 in the world.

Original post by LutherVan
This is a meaningless and juvenile point.

Someone else who doesn't know what they're talking about. David Cameron's tutor was Vernon Bogdanor, arguably the foremost living expert on British governmental studies. Its not very often another British university attracts one of the star names at Oxford.
No, but 'even for law' implies that you think Law is KCL's standout department and the only one which has a chance of competing with LSE. It is pretty good, but its far from the best. The best is War Studies. As in, not top 5 in UK, top 1 in the world.

LSE anyday.
LSE anyday.

Well I can't argue with that. You have me beaten sir, with your infallible debating skills, and I as a mere KCL student cannot hope to compete with your superior LSE intellect.

Latest