Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If you reapplied to Cambridge after initial rejection and got an offer second time around what do you believe it was about your second application that got you an offer?

I suppose what I am asking was how did your second application differ from your first?

Thanks
    Toni

PS If all A*s were achieved and in the gap year you took a a job related to the course you intend to reapply for (in order to gain experience) do you feel you would stand a good chance second time around?

ReputationRep:
    Also, what did people do in their gap year before reapplying?

Work or volunteering or travelling? How much course-related experience did people do and so on?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a post grad course whilst finishing my BA and got rejected for not being up to academic standards.
    I reapplied 2 years later with a 1st class degree, part of a masters (Early Years Professional Status) and working in a related job and got accepted.
    I have around 8 years course-related work experience in a mixture of full and part time jobs and placements which I did before, during and after by BA.

Hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle2005)
    I applied for a post grad course whilst finishing my BA and got rejected for not being up to academic standards.
    I reapplied 2 years later with a 1st class degree, part of a masters (Early Years Professional Status) and working in a related job and got accepted.
    I have around 8 years course-related work experience in a mixture of full and part time jobs and placements which I did before, during and after by BA.

Hope that helps...
    Cool! Which uni did you get your first from? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle2005)

Hope that helps...
    Thanks that does help

However it would also be good to hear from undergraduates who were successful second time around.

ReputationRep:
    I had better UMS at A-level than at AS (93 up to95) and got 4 A*s so, academically, I feel I strengthened. Just working in a bar and doing subject related work experience in my gap year but do plan to go travelling. Also feel my interview went much better this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyDufresne)
    I had better UMS at A-level than at AS (93 up to95) and got 4 A*s so, academically, I feel I strengthened. Just working in a bar and doing subject related work experience in my gap year but do plan to go travelling. Also feel my interview went much better this year
    So were you succesful this year? If so did you apply to the same college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toni_watsy)
    So were you succesful this year? If so did you apply to the same college?
    I was indeed. Applied to a different college this year as I'd read somewhere colleges don't like the same person applying again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyDufresne)
    Congrats on getting in second time around

Can I ask in what way you felt your interview went better?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. First of all I think I was prepared better and felt far less nervous as a result of the previous experience. I applied for economics and had a maths test before hand I did well in which I think was helped by having done A levels rather than just AS. But, most of all, I think it was more luck than anything - the questions I was asked this year were on a subject I'd read a lot about and was interested in whereas the first time the questions were more general and I was quite dogmatic in my response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippoposthumous)
    Cool! Which uni did you get your first from? Thanks!
    University of East London

ReputationRep:
    Would extra a levels in the gap year help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rovensie)
    Would extra a levels in the gap year help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No as you wouldnt have the results when you applied and they would decide if you met the offer standard from your first set. The only exception would be where you took a missing "highly desirable" A-level such as Further Maths for Economics or Chemistry for NatSci and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    No as you wouldnt have the results when you applied and they would decide if you met the offer standard from your first set. The only exception would be where you took a missing "highly desirable" A-level such as Further Maths for Economics or Chemistry for NatSci and so on.
    Are the new subjects taken in the gap year calculated into ums?

There were no 'highly desirable' a levels for my subject (HSPS), but they stated 'No particular subjects at A Level (or equivalent) are required. HSPS is a broad course, therefore a range of subjects provide a good background: from Mathematics to social sciences (eg Psychology, Politics and Geography) to arts (eg English, History and modern languages).'

Not all my previous a levels are in this list. In this case, would taking subjects on this list (eg psychology and geography) help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.