Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel B Issues Analysis Cliffe Airport watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The following is part of the materials I have given to my Year 13 students and emailed to those who have asked...
    If you want more like this them pm me with your email address. (make sure you have at least 0.4mb clear in your inbox)

Always think of implications in terms of SEE (Social, Economic and Environmental).
    Always think/look at short and long term impacts.

Question formats could include…
    · Write a synopsis of the features of the physical and human geography of the Thames Gateway area which indicate its economic development potential.
    · Analyse any constraints which might make development difficult in the Cliffe area (use of OS map as well as other resources here)
    · Outline the environmental costs and economic benefits of the proposed development of the Marinairport. (Look at this one carefully – it could provide one of the few legitimate cost/benefit matrix possibilities) such as….
    · The Cliffe Proposal has sparked off strong environmental opposition, so an alternative, the Marinairport (Fig14a and b) has been put forward by the Thames Gateway Regional Development Authority. Evaluate the costs and benefits of such a proposal from a local, regional and national perspective
    · Summarise the division of opinions regarding proposed developments in the area. (NB think widely here… developers, locals, environmental groups, commuters, retired, second home owners, Labour government, Dickens groups, birdwatchers etc and you could use an evidence table)
    · From evidence provided in the Resource booklet, how would you support the argument of a National Government that a new airport is required in the South East region? (and how would Friends of the Earth counteract that argument?)
    · Describe and assess the potential local environmental effects of the construction of the Cliffe Airport. (Coasts, rivers, saltmarsh, mudflats, peat would all be affected…HOW?)
    · You have been asked to develop a research inquiry into the social implications of this proposal. Outline the Key Questions to your investigation, identify how you would collect the types of data needed to ensure your inquiry was comprehensive in its scope. Think how you would sample for data, how would you evaluate your investigation? ( NB how would you also use the different resources provided for you in this pack?) THINK of doing your AS coursework when you had to develop a series of Key Questions and the methodology table and the SWOT table….

High band answers will have Structure, Coherence, Understanding, Range of ideas, Evidence and Terminology.

Keep answers structured and relevant, they are looking for your ability to link knowledge and understanding on a focused task Use other examples from elsewhere to help support your points eg Ashford and Cambridge’s urban growth is also part of John Prescott’s proposal for expansion of homes in the SE as well as Thames Gateway; the saltmarsh and other river and coastal environments you saw on field trip to Gower – think of those areas being affected by development… BUT critically you MUST use and refer to the resources (so know them inside out!) and you must use the BRIEF they give you to help structure your answers to the actual questions they set.

ReputationRep:
    I've done an Environmental Impact Assessment on the impacts of Cliffe

I've found it really useful!

Once you have created the table, you give each factor and rating eg from -3 to 3

Important impacts can also be weighted to create a higher ranking

I'll try to put one up so you can see it!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Red)
    I've done an Environmental Impact Assessment on the impacts of Cliffe

I've found it really useful!

Once you have created the table, you give each factor and rating eg from -3 to 3

Important impacts can also be weighted to create a higher ranking

I'll try to put one up so you can see it!!!
    Thank you - that would be helpful to show others how to go about it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Thank you - that would be helpful to show others how to go about it!
    Is there anyone else who has asked me for a copy of the materials I produced, and who has not yet received them? A few people pmed me but did not include their email addresses. If you are one of these, please pm me again with your correct email. The 5 attachments take up about 0.4mb, so make sure your inbox is clear enough.
    If anyone else would like to have these, they just need to pm me with their email address.

ReputationRep:
    Doin the synoptic aswell, jus started reading through all materials, will post any thoughts about possible questions or any info i find as soon as possible !

anyone with any info, [email protected]

Danny
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Is there anyone else who has asked me for a copy of the materials I produced, and who has not yet received them? A few people pmed me but did not include their email addresses. If you are one of these, please pm me again with your correct email. The 5 attachments take up about 0.4mb, so make sure your inbox is clear enough.
    If anyone else would like to have these, they just need to pm me with their email address.
    Bump this up again - Now, all those who have benefited from materials I have sent out, when you have done something eg a cost benefit table or an Environmental index or found a good website, post it on here or email me with the information and I will pass it on to all those who I have already emailed.

ReputationRep:
    I am also sitting the cliffe airport paper in june.

I have no idea where to start. :confused:

This is the second time i have sat a synoptic and i still dont know what to do.

If anyone has any hint, tips, or advise i would be greatfull.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Emily1)
    I am also sitting the cliffe airport paper in june.

I have no idea where to start. :confused:

This is the second time i have sat a synoptic and i still dont know what to do.

If anyone has any hint, tips, or advise i would be greatfull.
    Read the whole thread again, as there are lots of hints and ideas. You could even copy and paste them into a Word document to help you.
    I am emailing you ( and the 2 others who have asked) the attachments tonight

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Geogger, please could you send me the above attachment stuff because I am really stuck!!!

I have been doing conflict matrix, environment/human impacts assessments at college but I don't know how to apply them to a question.

If they ask you about impacts would you just draw out one of the assessments tables and explain????

I'm really confused!

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah and my email is [email protected]

Oops!!!

ReputationRep:
    i don't suppose i could get sent some information, i'm really worried about this exam and keep reading thru the pre released material, but its still not sinking in what i am looking at....i will pm my address
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bumping this up - don't forget to post on here if you have ideas or suggestions or queries.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

I am also doing the synoptic paper! I would be grateful for any information and material relevent. I will post some ideas after the weekend. Thank you

[email protected]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bumping this up - anyone who has done some work on this or who has further ideas, please add to this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering if in the exam they would ask you separately about the Cliffe airport and then the Thames Gateway development cos I'm getting to two mixed up!!!!!

I'm not sure if I should talk about both in an answer!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red)
    Hey,

I was wondering if in the exam they would ask you separately about the Cliffe airport and then the Thames Gateway development cos I'm getting to two mixed up!!!!!

I'm not sure if I should talk about both in an answer!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the issue analysis is of cliffe airport.

personally i think the main qus related to the Thames Gateway development will be wheter or not the construction of the cliffe airport would help it ?

geogger - u agree?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Help! I a so completely confused about this whole synoptic assessment. Even the style of question&answers, I've looked up some information on cliffe, unaware of the websites to be honest, I never note them down, should get into the habit. Main info from Kent Wildlife trust, thats all the information i can give at the moment. Geoggers can you send me some information, i will pm you. I will add information as I learn it myself. Any one got any good info... plzzzz help

ReputationRep:
    hey, looking through all the information given so far has been really useful and i'm definately going to reccommend people to this site. Any additional information on cliffe airport would be great if thats ok. Not sure what pm-ing my email address is.... :confused: my email address is [email protected]

thank you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow geographers
    PLEEEEASE HELLLLLP ME!!...i am so going to fail this unit the way things are going- my teacher hasn't given us any proper help...and what about the latest developments- didnt the government reject the proposals in the white paper- how do we link that in? what am i going to do?

can anyone send me any notes they've made or any q's they've answered- or anything that will help me in anyway at all??..please-what does pm mean? does any one have any model answers to the q's? ...ok i need to breathe, im not stressin-just no time

my email address is [email protected], if you cant get through try [email protected] if not get back to me-

thank you all so much for your time- and goegger- you seem wonderful

ReputationRep:
    Anonymiss - calm down.
    1. The fact your teacher hasnt helped you shouldnt effect you too much, there is plently of time to read the material yourself.
    2. The fact the Government has rejected the scheme is irrelevant to your answer, for a start the questions are written a year or 2 in advance for the synoptic papers and secondly there is little analysis/scope for originality if you just quote Government reasons.

3. Personally I think the first Q will be asking you to weigh up the impacts of Cliffe, 2nd Q might be regarding Thames Gateway Development and there is room for a 3rd possible part revolving around the alternative airport off the coast.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.