Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    BREAKING NEWS
    There is to be a new judicial Review on the Airport in the SE look at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/news/index.shtml
    radio Kent and if you get onto the local news section there is an article about it.
    i thought that we weren't meant to consider new influences / situations concerning the airport proposals?

but aside from that, it appears the most important aspect of that article is summed up in this quote:

"I think it's a little naive as well to think you can build an airport in the Thames Estuary or anywhere near the North Kent Marshes. We've got four special protection areas here for birds, it's like the M25 for birds coming in from the Arctic. The bird strike issue alone would preclude them. Why do they keep thinking they can build an airport near the North Kent Marshes?"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meghan)
    i thought that we weren't meant to consider new influences / situations concerning the airport proposals?

but aside from that, it appears the most important aspect of that article is summed up in this quote:

"I think it's a little naive as well to think you can build an airport in the Thames Estuary or anywhere near the North Kent Marshes. We've got four special protection areas here for birds, it's like the M25 for birds coming in from the Arctic. The bird strike issue alone would preclude them. Why do they keep thinking they can build an airport near the North Kent Marshes?"
    Its only in the OLD DME that you were only supposed to keep to the resources given - this is the new Issues Analysis, they are looking at the totality of your geographical understanding based around a starting topic area. Whilst, naturally there will be direct questions using the resource material, it is clear from the examiners comments I have posted that they actually like you to think widely... that does not preclude current events! Indeed my daughter was doing an Economics exam today and actually included a quote from today's Guardian about percentage of British aid as a proportion of our GNP - nothing like being topical as long as it is relevant to the question posed by the examiner!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Here's a copy of what was on the website today - I changed it into a word file to make it more accessible. If you get the chance to go onto the site (see above for web address) do so, because it has a list of links on the right hand side of that page which could be helpful

ReputationRep:
    Its only in the OLD DME that you were only supposed to keep to the resources given - this is the new Issues Analysis, they are looking at the totality of your geographical understanding based around a starting topic area. Whilst, naturally there will be direct questions using the resource material, it is clear from the examiners comments I have posted that they actually like you to think widely... that does not preclude current events! Indeed my daughter was doing an Economics exam today and actually included a quote from today's Guardian about percentage of British aid as a proportion of our GNP - nothing like being topical as long as it is relevant to the question posed by the examiner!
    ah well, i knew you have to have a general understanding of the world at large and current events, but going from previous comments in this thread, i believed that knowing about stuff like the aviation white paper was irrelevant?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, yeah, I've been looking at the synoptic too. I think its best to do an environmental impact assessment as it does look like it will have a major impact on it. Main arguements seem to be - are you really going to risk the area which is an important international and national wetland area (Ramsar convention, SSSI, SPA..) for an airport which there is not even sufficient demand? Plus the importance the areas holds for the thousands of birds...

Doing Economic advantages and disadvantages, and same for social. Should be alright if you covered these areas. :cool: It should be alright!
    One weird thing - the marina airport proposal..what is the pt in putting it in?! Usaully they give a no. of them so you go through an elimination process, but they have only given minimal info on a potential second one. Perhaps they will want us to evaluate it as an alternative? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    does any one want to share anything they've written for the synoptic?... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymiss)
    does any one want to share anything they've written for the synoptic?... :P
    if you read the entire thread, i think you'll find a fair amount of stuff
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    if you read the entire thread, i think you'll find a fair amount of stuff
    Well said... there's a lot of information here and from me if people can be bothered to read the thread... and if they are doing the synoptic, they really, really ought to!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well said... there's a lot of information here and from me if people can be bothered to read the thread... and if they are doing the synoptic, they really, really ought to!
    Bumping this up again... after tomorrow's Unit 5 I guess there will be more people posting . Don't forget if you want some material from me, send me a pm with your email address or post it on here and I will add you to my list.

ReputationRep:
    You know I was ever so surprised to find this forum on google - I'm even more thankful now that I've been posting in here and discussing points with the lovely teacher going under the guise of geogger. This has given me the motivation to actually go through the pre-release stuff (unlike in January, where I only came out with a C) and examine the problems at hand - I really feel I've learnt stuff.

Just a lil note :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You know I was ever so surprised to find this forum on google - I'm even more thankful now that I've been posting in here and discussing points with the lovely teacher going under the guise of geogger. This has given me the motivation to actually go through the pre-release stuff (unlike in January, where I only came out with a C) and examine the problems at hand - I really feel I've learnt stuff.

Just a lil note :rolleyes:
    Awwwh shucks
    Nice to know - hope it works!

ReputationRep:
    i am also doing this synoptic paper and have some usefull links about how they can't expand or they wont reach thier global warming targets ( persumebly agreed at they Kyoto protocol)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3812853.stm
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard
    hhope that helps

p.s geogger can i pm you for the extra stuff you where talking about ( ihave pmed you )

ReputationRep:
    Also if you or your school registered to geo-file ( Unfortunetly it is not free) there is a geo file there about Airports, althogh i have not read it yet so can't say h ow usefull it is

ReputationRep:
    OK, silly question, but what sort of questions do u get asked in the synoptic??

Is it things like sustainability and pro's and con's??

ReputationRep:
    For this exam I've mostly been working on it from an economic/social/environmental advantages/disadvantages point of view. As for fieldwork - I'm thinking along the lines of belt transect, EIA, monitoring of soil, wind etc - what does everyone else think?

Please could any info also be sent my way:

Jessibaby00 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Thanks,

Shadowy

ETA: Just attempted to do a CBA - but apparantly you need monetary values for everything, which the resources obviously don't provide (cannot assign a value to biodiversity etc). Does this mean that this technique cannot be used on the Cliffe proposal?

What other techniques have people done?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I will email people tonight with resources, there are already 2 attachments on this thread, make sure you download those as well.
    Now people... this is the last geog exam, its synoptic, BUT you need to know those resources really well.
    Make sure that they are CLEAN as well, don't forget you have to take the resources into the exam with you and they will be checked. Your teachers will NOT have many, if any, spare copies (I know I only have 1 spare, because Edexcel send them out in packs of 10 and 5 - and they are really stingy, you only get just enough!)
    Shadowy - I agree with you about a CostBenefit Analysis. You can't do a proper one, but you can do a basic EIA or a simple forcefield analysis to look at pros and cons.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Is it possible for me to get my hands on the info too plz, Geogger (kind geog teacher!) My e mail is misbahimtiaz at hotmail.
    Thankyou!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say thankyou to Geogger for all your help so far. I came here for the first time earlier today and all of the information that has been given has been invaluable!

Thanks so much!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lucyloo)
    Can I just say thankyou to Geogger for all your help so far. I came here for the first time earlier today and all of the information that has been given has been invaluable!

Thanks so much!
    That's kind - it's nice to be appreciated now and then!

I'm not on the computer with my Cliffe files on at the moment, but i shall email all the new people who have asked a bit later this evening. Please ensure that you have about 45% of an inbox free, otherwise it won't get through!

ReputationRep:
    In the exam is there a choice of questions?

Or is there just one question??

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.