Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I have a Healthcare Assistant interview next week to work in a Mental Health Ward.

I'd really like this position as I'm passionate about a career in mental health and this could be my first break.

I have a First Class Hons Counselling Degree.

Can you offer any advice on the interview? What to expect / how to prepare / What questions will be asked?

Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I had an interview for an HCA post in a mental health ward a few years back now.

There was a short written task first in this interview, although that may vary from place to place. In this case it was just a question to write your thoughts of what 'recovery' is. It was only about 15 minutes, so nothing too bad.

For the actual interview there were 3 people interviewing (although again this probably varies!) They asked about the usual kinds of things - previous experience, education etc, and then some hypothetical situations that you might come across - e.g. what would you do if [a patient said something in particular], how would you do [an activity] with a group, what's your understanding of [particular issue]. Dealing with stress I think is quite a common thing to come up, so that might be worth thinking about.

Good luck for your interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    Hey. I had an interview for an HCA post in a mental health ward a few years back now.

There was a short written task first in this interview, although that may vary from place to place. In this case it was just a question to write your thoughts of what 'recovery' is. It was only about 15 minutes, so nothing too bad.

For the actual interview there were 3 people interviewing (although again this probably varies!) They asked about the usual kinds of things - previous experience, education etc, and then some hypothetical situations that you might come across - e.g. what would you do if [a patient said something in particular], how would you do [an activity] with a group, what's your understanding of [particular issue]. Dealing with stress I think is quite a common thing to come up, so that might be worth thinking about.

Good luck for your interview
    Hey

Thanks for your answer!

Could you tell me how you'd deal with stress in a mental health ward? Regular breaks? Supervision? Look after yourself?

And what's your understanding of recovery? My view is that it's different and personal to everyone.

Did you get the job and do you still work in mental health?

Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJazzles)
    Hey

Thanks for your answer!

Could you tell me how you'd deal with stress in a mental health ward? Regular breaks? Supervision? Look after yourself?

And what's your understanding of recovery? My view is that it's different and personal to everyone.

Did you get the job and do you still work in mental health?

Thanks so much!
    Hey,

I didn't get the job because I actually completely mind-blanked in the interview! But as it turned out it didn't matter anyway because they'd changed the hours of the position before the interview so that it was now a full-time job, and as I was a student I couldn't do that anyway. Good practice though! I'm doing an MSc now in an area of psychology, but one of my research interests is still related to mental health in the area I'm studying.

Re. dealing with stress I think the things you mentioned are definitely good points to mention if that comes up, particularly supervision and taking care of yourself. Things like getting good sleep, regular exercise, talking to someone, things like that.

And I think that's a good start for an answer to the recovery question too, that recovery isn't the same for everybody and recovery doesn't just mean getting rid of the illness altogether - sometimes it can mean aiming for a good quality of life despite an illness. Have a look at the 'recovery model' of mental health, that's got some good information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    Hey,

I didn't get the job because I actually completely mind-blanked in the interview! But as it turned out it didn't matter anyway because they'd changed the hours of the position before the interview so that it was now a full-time job, and as I was a student I couldn't do that anyway. Good practice though! I'm doing an MSc now in an area of psychology, but one of my research interests is still related to mental health in the area I'm studying.

Re. dealing with stress I think the things you mentioned are definitely good points to mention if that comes up, particularly supervision and taking care of yourself. Things like getting good sleep, regular exercise, talking to someone, things like that.

And I think that's a good start for an answer to the recovery question too, that recovery isn't the same for everybody and recovery doesn't just mean getting rid of the illness altogether - sometimes it can mean aiming for a good quality of life despite an illness. Have a look at the 'recovery model' of mental health, that's got some good information.

Thank you so much, I will definitely take a look at the recovery model, that's a good tip!

Cheers! x

ReputationRep:
    Not related to the interview as such but if you're working in anything medium-secure or above you should always be aware that being attacked is not a matter of if but simply when. If you're going in for bank or through an agency a single attack can end your chances at the position because it's always your fault afterwards. So stay alert!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.