The Student Room Group

Hong Kong VS China

Hi everyone!! I'm from Hong Kong and I'm curios that if people in the UK know what's the difference between Hong Kong and Mainland China. Also, do you guys know why most of the HK people hate the Mainlander?
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Hi,

I'm not in the UK, but I am a Hongkongnese/Singaporean that is currently living in Mainland China. I just wanted to point out that it may not be right to say that HK people hate the Mainlanders, because it's not the mainland Chinese that are responsible for everything. It's not right to just hate a whole race of people because of the decisions of a few.

Sorry if you didn't mean all Mainland Chinese when you said "Mainlander", but that's what it seemed like.

Sorry if you feel that is offensive, but it is the fact that the majority of Hong Kong people "don't like" the Mainlanders. Not only because of the evil central government, but also because of some social conflicts occurring in HK. For instance, over-crowding of Chinese tourist, Mainlanders buy up our infant powder formula,
anchor babies in HK...... They may be blamed for some other problems too, e.g. skyrocketing of the price level.
Can you blame them for wanting to go to HK for vacation? If anything, it's like a kind of compliment.

And for the infant powder formula and some other things: it's not like they're purposefully doing it to make life more difficult for Hong Kong people. Disliking them solely based on these things is like judging a person for one thing they did without even trying to see why they did it.

And I wouldn't call the central government evil. It's stereotypes like this that make Westerners compare China to North Korea. The central government may not always do things in the way that people believe to be fair, but it's not like they're going around trying to figure out a way to bomb the whole planet like some villain in a comic book.

If you have been to some popular places in HK, e.g. Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui, Causeway Bay... You can easily figure out why we don't want they come to HK. Mainland tourists are actually notorious for their rude behaviour in HK and also in the world. Some of them don't know any simple manners and unfortunately it is very common. (squatting, eating and shouting on the MTR etc) The worst thing I have seen was that a mainland kid pooping in the street of Mong Kok. I won't blame the kid for that as it is the responsibility of the Mainland parents to educate their kids.
Also, I can't think of any rational reasons why they come here. They can buy the infant powder formula in the Mainland and they can born their babies in the Mainland. The only reason they would like to come to HK is that they want to occupy the public resources of HK. It do benefit them but it worsen the local's life. We, HK people, are the one who pay the tax and I don't see why Mainlanders can share our resources without contributing to the HK society. That is exactly why many of the media in HK label the Mainlanders as "the locust"

For the central government, I can't see anything wrong calling it "evil". It is not stereotype. The fact is that the central government is cruel as hell. Do you remember the June Fourth Incident of the Tiananmen Squae protest of 1989? They shot Chinese students with AK-47 and crushed them with tank who did nothing but sitting. WTF was central government thinking? Simple and easy... Just kill all the guys who are opposed to them. Other examples would be no speech freedom, corruption is ubiquitous within the central government (Money can solve 99% of problems in China), lying to HK recently about the universal suffrage etc.
All in all, there is no justice in China. ( HK will soon be like that too :frown:)

(Of course I know that there are some good Mainlanders, I'm just talking about the majority we have seen in HK.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Why is it that so many people like to pick on the behavior of the mainland Chinese? The mainland Chinese have only become better off in these past few decades, which means that most of them were (or are) living in villages, not urban cities. Many expect mainland Chinese to have the same living manners as countries whose citizens have been living in urban cities with a great standard of living for much more than a few decades, which I personally find to be unrealistic. To be blunt, the reason why some mainland Chinese do not have the 'simple manners' you're expecting them to have is because they've only recently moved into urban life and it's not easy to make that adjustment to the masses of people that China has.

You can't think of any rational reason for them to buy your baby powder? Exactly my point. You have not tried looking into why they do so. The reason behind this is because baby powder in China has had scandals before (as in unsafe food kind of scandals), so the mainland Chinese really just want to be able to protect their newborns. Presented with this explanation, do they really seem so horrible to you? And I don't think I need to show you that HK's medical facilities are better than many of the local hospitals available in mainland China.

I realize this may be hard to see given how horrific that incident was, but the Chinese government has changed a lot since then. It is not under the power of the same people and it has not done anything like that since then. And with the corruption, yes, it may have corruption, but can you honestly tell me that other countries' governments aren't? The main reason why people see China as corrupt is because they don't cover all of it up. They're open about how they're having a serious drug and luxury crackdown to try and diminish the corruption. It's true that there is not as much freedom of speech in China compared to other countries like America, but again, China is still adjusting. You can't expect it to be perfect with human rights and whatnot just because they're now a big, successful country when they haven't been operating like that before.

And I'm not going to comment on the universal suffrage thing because I feel like if I do, I might end up offending some people here if they don't read my whole explanation.

Yes, my whole point was due to the fact that your original post did not specify that you were only referring to some Mainlanders. Your original post seemed to be regarding all Mainlanders.

Maybe I make it clear here, all the "Mainlanders" I have mentioned and will mention are NOT referring to all the Mainlanders.

IMO, the mainlanders do not give us(HK people) enough respect. I think it is a common sense that one should respect the rules and culture of a place when one is visiting there. Not having enough education doesn't mean that they can break our "rules" and doesn't imply that we should forgive their rude behaviour. It is hard not to give us a negative impression if they don't correct/adjust their behaviour.

HK people know the reasons that you have mentioned. However, we can't accept those reasons. Thanks to the mainlanders, it is now difficult and expensive for local HK to buy the baby powder. (especially in the New Territories) Parents in HK often complain about the insufficient supply of baby powder. There are not enough food for HK babies!!!:mad: wtf !! This normally should only happened in poor countries such as Congo etc. Do you know the mainlanders actually are using illegal means to come to HK in order to give birth to their babies. Yes, they enjoy a better quality of medical services. But who pay it ?? We, HK people, pay for them!!! It is totally unfair for us. Moreover, you can also easily google some news about pregnant women in HK not having enough hospital places to give birth. Thanks to the mainlanders again....:mad:

Yes, maybe they are improving. However, I would never forgive the central government since they even don't attempt to apologise for what they have done. It seems that they think that they made the right decision to kill the students. When one did sth wrong, at least that guy should say sorry right?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you view everyone that way, you will never be able to understand others. You can't expect people to be a certain way just because it is what you think is right and is what is socially acceptable in countries who have been MDCs for ages. The Mainlanders still are adjusting to the different lifestyle. Urban etiquette is much, much different from rural etiquette. Some things acceptable in rural areas are not in urban areas, and vice versa. I never said you should forgive their rude behavior. I just meant that you could at least take the time to try to understand them out of your own current bias.

I get that you feel it's unfair, but what you're doing is blaming what's happening on the closest cause possible. You see the lack of baby powder and then place all the blame on the people buying it even though the people buying it from there HAVE NO CHOICE. Yes, the Mainlanders may a cause of the inflation in baby powder prices and the lack of them, but it's not like they willingly chose to do so just to spite the Hong Kong people. They have no other option. So instead of blaming the easiest scapegoats for everything and hating them for it, why not look at whether or not they're doing so intentionally and if they have any other options. I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, but how is it that you're paying for their hospital bills? Is it not that hospital bills are only subsidized when the person is a citizen of the country the hospital they are using is in? Or is that not how it works in Hong Kong?

It's always difficult for governments to formally apologize for what they have done. The Japanese remove the Rape of Nanjing from their textbooks, and the Korean women who were forced to be prostitutes during war have never been formally apologized to. Don't act as if China is the only country who has done this. It's not easy to apologize on a national level, and if you ask me, at the moment, they have many more things to deal with. Like their food problem. And China itself does not want to harm Hong Kong, since they view Hong Kong as part of them. So I'm sure they're trying to fix their own food issues and medical issues so that the Mainlanders don't have to go to Hong Kong to make things difficult for the Hong Kong people.

According to Wikipedia, Anchor babies in Hong Kong refers to children born in Hong Kong whose parents (usually from Mainland China) have no Hong Kong citizenship.

Since 2003, an Individual Visit Scheme targeted to boost the economy of Hong Kong has begun. It provides an opportunity for pregnant women visiting from Mainland China to give birth to their infants in Hong Kong. This entitles their children to the right of abode in Hong Kong as well as the opportunity to benefit from Hong Kong's education system.
These pregnant women use local obstetric services through legal (e.g. births through reservation) or illegal (e.g. A&E births) ways. The large influx of visiting Mainland pregnant women causes a shortage of hospital resources, resulting in much criticism of visiting pregnant women and their anchor children, including blaming them as "locusts".

you can read more from here: https://www.facebook.com/itstimetosayno

Reply 5
Original post by sunnyyiu627
Hi everyone!! I'm from Hong Kong and I'm curios that if people in the UK know what's the difference between Hong Kong and Mainland China. Also, do you guys know why most of the HK people hate the Mainlander?

Yes, most of us are well aware of recent history there.

My personal view is that it is a great shame we were too weak to retain you as an overseas territory or whatever you were regarded as.
Original post by sunnyyiu627

Yes I'm from UK and aware of the difference between Hong Kong and Mainland China.

You dislike them for multiple reasons, namely a sense of separate identity, a culture of superiority to Mainland Chinese, the fact that Hong Kong is more liberal and democratically minded than Mainland China (obviously), Hong Konger's feeling a decline in importance and thus influence on Mainland China's economy and a million other reasons, ironically alongside a higher standard of living compared to neighbouring Mainland Chinese creating economic and migratory tensions.

For what it's worth I feel like Hong Kong should in an ideal world have it's independence just like Taiwan without threat or fear of Chinese aggression. Especially since Mainland China had little input or say on the history and success of Hong Kong (beyond ancestry), which was solely up to the local Hong-Kongers and the British administration. It's a bit **** that the PRC just rolled in one day as if it felt entitled to the blood sweat and tears of others. Saying that in an ideal world China would be a liberal democracy but such is the way of things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dont know and dont want to know. What happens in Hong Kong stays in hong kong. Dont spread your **** around.

oh btw. you all can tell them chinese to piss off if you hate them. just dont forget to tell them to leave their money behind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Yes, most of us are well aware of recent history there.

My personal view is that it is a great shame we were too weak to retain you as an overseas territory or whatever you were regarded as.

The yank says no no no to empires. and broke it. unlucky
Original post by HucktheForde
The yank says no no no to empires. and broke it. unlucky

I dunno, America can be argued to possess an empire of sorts, if not directly territorial.

They certainly dabbled with colonial empire near the end of the 19th century.
Reply 10
Original post by HucktheForde
Dont know and dont want to know. What happens in Hong Kong stays in hong kong. Dont spread your **** around.

oh btw. you all can tell them chinese to piss off if you hate them. just dont forget to tell them to leave their money behind.

Great point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
By the way, you might be quite if China stop providing you fresh water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you hate China, why don't you move out? Why you still live there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
So for some of you its ok to come HK **** in the streets, be rude to everyone, take **** loads of place, buy entire building to rise the rent and make the HK local to go and live in new territories and further, just because Chinese have money?

You are sick.
Reply 14
From what I gather Hong Kong is a lot nicer than the rest of China, though I've never been to either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending