Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is doing an Access course waste of time? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I'm a mature student and currently redoing my GCSE's. I want to do Med in the future and was thinking doing an access course this year.
    Is it worth it coz i heard not many people are accepted into uni after doing it..or should i just do A-levels which will take most of my time and i have to study with younger students.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that it can be more difficult getting into medicine with an access course than with A-levels, but it's not a waste of time if you do your research.

Access courses are only accepted by certain universities for medicine. Those that do accept them will only accept those courses from certain colleges. This means that you have to be careful when choosing a college to do the access course at, and when choosing universities to apply to as these two things will be linked.

A-levels are universally accepted so will keep more doors open, but the choice of which is more appropriate for you depends on your circumstances. Access courses will not necessarily take up less of your time, they are hard work and you have to score really well to stand a chance of getting into medical school; and there will likely also be people one them who are younger than you (although they may not be the majority).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.