Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I achieved a B in OCR AS Chemistry and I am currently doing A2 Chemistry. I've done quite well this year. However, I really want to achieve an A* overall this year. Could anyone suggest any revision tips and any resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiwa)
    Hello! I achieved a B in OCR AS Chemistry and I am currently doing A2 Chemistry. I've done quite well this year. However, I really want to achieve an A* overall this year. Could anyone suggest any revision tips and any resources?
    The specification (found here on the OCR website) is really useful as it lists all the things you need to know/be able to do for each unit, so it's always worth checking back as you go through your revision to make sure you aren't missing anything.

Make sure you still know your AS stuff, where relevant (particularly formulae and reactions I think? Probably all of unit one and a fair bit of unit two, but you might find you already know a lot of it anyway). They sometimes link things in (we had a question on some past paper questions we did for homework recently that involved AS alkene reactions, nearly the whole class lost two marks).

If maths is a weak point for you, practice calculation questions.

Go through past papers you've completed/tests/mocks etc and find all the places you've lost marks. Figure out why and what you have to do so you don't repeat the mistake.

Learn all your mechanisms inside out, understand what is going on at each stage so that you can think it through and double check your curly arrows are going in the right direction!

As for general revision, do the past papers (but be careful not to run out too fast), do questions from the textbook (if you have the official OCR Heinemann textbook for A2 this is full of short, simpler questions throughout the book and exam style questions at the end of each section), make nice revision notes in a way that suits you (index cards - question or prompt on one side, answer on the back - these are really good for learning definitions, reagents/conditions for all the reactions you have to know and colours etc for transition metals and their reactions, mindmaps, just things written out. This depends on how you learn of course). If your revision notes are fairly portable (or at least some of them are) then you can stick them in your bag for college and do some revision whenever you have a bit of time with nothing to do. Little and often is key for all subjects (and keeping a balance between them - don't get so focused on a grade in one and accidentally neglect the others!). More than an hour straight is unlikely to be very helpful, so if you're doing an evening/day of studying take breaks - watch an episode of a tv show, go for a walk/do some exercise if that's your thing, just something totally unrelated to college work.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone on the student room has actually made a full set of revision notes for the specification that they've shared here, so you should check those out. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1307590

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.