Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is cheating on a partner more common at university? watch

So, my seemingly perfect relationship just ended with my gf at uni cheating and seemingly not being overly affected by for. I genuinely believe that this wouldn't have happened if we had remained at home.

So is cheating more common at uni and if so why?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is more temptation/opportunity but it's down to the person (and what type of person they are) at the end of the day. Consider yourself lucky it happened at a more simple time in your life and you now have plenty of chances to find someone better.

It says more about the cheater than the cheatee, remember that.

ReputationRep:
    Mate it's the age. Whole forum is full of little boys and girls, boys want to shag every fit bird they see, girls want to shag the hottest lad. Will do anything to reach it. Both in denial.

I will be brutal. She was in an evironment full of perhaps hotter to her, perhaps more intelligent, perhaps older and more accomplished men. She gave in to her instincts and fell in lust, she could get away with it. She liked the change, the freedom. Most kids do-cos guess what most of you young adults are just really horny kids. Looks like your ex was no exception, sorry to say. You can do better, my heart goes out to you.

TSR is full of stories of friendzoning, cheating and they're just not good looking enough left right and centre. My fave is 'I was bored I wanted some change at uni so I only ****ed a few other people, uhhh I'm such a victim.to my urges why can't my ex understand that why won't they let me string them aling it's not my fault I've got more options than them '('-every 10th thread on here

It's a product of the times. Love has been identified as a social construct separate to primal attraction.

I ****ing hate sex, it brings out the worst in people abd yet it's the only reason we're alive.

ReputationRep:
    It's more common at university because of the distance between you and your partner. The consequences of cheating seem easier to deal with if you don't have to face your partner the next day. It's also unlikely your partner will ever find out if you decide it was a mistake. But, the type of person who would cheat on their partner because they can is the type of person that you wouldn't want to be with anyway. Maybe she wouldn't have cheated if she didn't go to university but that disloyalty and fickleness would be still a part of her personality.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think it matters where or the situation, if people are going to cheat then they will cheat regardless of whether it is at Uni or say at work.

ReputationRep:
    I know you're hurt and trying to justify it but no it's not Uni and it's not Uni's fault. If she is going to cheat at Uni she would probably have cheated anyway.

If she (or people in general) can't even handle a new environment and end up being unfaithful then they have issues. Look how many people on this forum plan to break up with people before Uni so they can have fun. Or the ones who worry their relationship won't make it through Uni.

If you can't even make it through something as SIMPLE as University then you would not have made it and your relationship was doomed to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    you're going to have more distance, while she has plenty of opportunity to cheat (i.e. places to go, bedroom etc), the partner will also meet lots more people and have a wider social circle than at home (most likely anyway), they will probably drink more... and university is the time when all the rules are essentially lifted while people are still quite young and immature and people go a bit wild

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.