The Student Room Group

City University of Hong Kong class of 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monisha_cs
I'm not from Britain! i live in India but i'm not completely Indian its kind of complicated haha that's not important... and yes! I'm willing to work as hard as i can to learn cantonese and mandarin not only because it'll make uni life easier but because it'll come in handy in the future too so...
Oh its so good to hear that the reputation of the uni isn't important for pg studies im so relieved. I'm actually really interested in Cityu's Bachelor of Electronic Engineering - Information Engineering course i find it very substantial and well - thought out.

I'm not familiar with the field and I have not looked at its admission scores (you can find the ones for local school-leavers on JUPAS's website), but engineering is one of the least subscribed discipline in Hong Kong alongside nursing and education, so it shouldn't be difficult to get in, especially with it being CityU. I'd probably go to HKUST for that, though.
Original post by Gusty
Thanks for your opinion - the first strong opinion I've read about CityU on here so far. Every university has its ups and downs and I think that CityU won't be any different. From what i've heard the university is working on expanding their international staff and an overall internationalization of the university. Also their curriculum includes a lot of group work, which might urge the mainland chinese community to mingle with international/exchange students and not just do their own thing. And I seriously doubt that any lecturer taught in mandarin if their wasn't consent of everyone in the class to understand fully. With the intake numbers of international full time and exchange students increasing every year I don't think that this will be an issue.

Regarding job opportunities - I'm from the Czech Republic and I'm currently interning at a large scale consumer finance provider in India. I've been lucky to discuss universities face-to-face with many highly regarded executives and all of them seem to agree that school is just a small beginning, that most things are learnt on the job and that studying in a HK environment would already provide an advantage over a lot of graduates (from the UK for example, excluding oxbridge and a few top places) thanks to HK's place in the business world. That being said, I think that a degree from CityU would be very useful in HK and more so internationally. Arguably a little less than from HKU or HKUST, but nothing groundbreaking. And I think you should accept the offer :smile:

Ooo nice where in india?
Ohh i see... well i will accept this offer but ill wait for the others to respond... if they dont offer scholarships then ill consider going with cityu... i really like this uni for some reason... :/ i especially love the information engineering course...
Original post by clh_hilary
I'm not familiar with the field and I have not looked at its admission scores (you can find the ones for local school-leavers on JUPAS's website), but engineering is one of the least subscribed discipline in Hong Kong alongside nursing and education, so it shouldn't be difficult to get in, especially with it being CityU. I'd probably go to HKUST for that, though.

i have already been accepted into a conditional scholarship...! now its just a long and painful wait for my school results and for the other unis to respond which is not happening :mad:
Original post by Gusty
Thanks for your opinion - the first strong opinion I've read about CityU on here so far. Every university has its ups and downs and I think that CityU won't be any different.

If you look at the history of universities globally, you can see that the chances of CityU progressing any further is slim.

The most historical universities always stay on top, ie Oxbridge, Harvard, etc; with some technical universities also being very good in their own fields despite their youth, ie MIT, Imperial, etc; but the universities in the middle never really go out of their 'league'. CityU is in the middle league alongside Polytechnic and HKBU.

Original post by Gusty
From what i've heard the university is working on expanding their international staff and an overall internationalization of the university.

So is every other university.

And internationalisation has little to do with their quality and may not really help with their reputation. Brookes (18% international) is more 'international' than Oxford (14% international).

Original post by Gusty
Also their curriculum includes a lot of group work, which might urge the mainland chinese community to mingle with international/exchange students and not just do their own thing.

That means absolutely nothing when the mainland student population is large enough for them to form their own groups. If the class is 30 and there are only like 2 mainland students, then your hypothesis would be accurate, but that is not the case for most courses.

Not to mention the local Hong Kong population understands and speaks Mandarin to an extent whilst the mainland population tend to have less-than-stellar proficiency in English, so it's obvious which language would be more dominant should there be an issue.

Even in the most international university in Hong Kong, that is, HKU (which also has the highest intake and outcome for proficiency in English), overseas students complain about not being integrated in most aspects of their lives.

Original post by Gusty
And I seriously doubt that any lecturer taught in mandarin if their wasn't consent of everyone in the class to understand fully.

There was one lecturer who taught in two languages because of that which slowed down the progress for the entire class. And there also were/are lecturers who would ask other students to translate things for students who don't understand Mandarin/Cantonese.

Original post by Gusty
With the intake numbers of international full time and exchange students increasing every year I don't think that this will be an issue.

Not only is it still a small population in any university in Hong Kong (smaller for CityU), the 'international' students are mostly mainland students.

Original post by Gusty
Regarding job opportunities - I'm from the Czech Republic and I'm currently interning at a large scale consumer finance provider in India. I've been lucky to discuss universities face-to-face with many highly regarded executives and all of them seem to agree that school is just a small beginning, that most things are learnt on the job and that studying in a HK environment would already provide an advantage over a lot of graduates (from the UK for example) thanks to HK's place in the business world.

None of these is a reason why anyone should choose CityU over any university in Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, or Tokyo.

Original post by Gusty
That being said, I think that a degree from CityU would be very useful in HK and more so internationally.

An assertion with no support.

Original post by Gusty
Arguably a little less than from HKU or HKUST, but nothing groundbreaking. And I think you should accept the offer :smile:

I never needed to apply to CityU, thankfully.
Reply 24
Ooo nice where in india?
Ohh i see... well i will accept this offer but ill wait for the others to respond... if they dont offer scholarships then ill consider going with cityu... i really like this uni for some reason... :/ i especially love the information engineering course...

Gurgaon, next to New Delhi :smile: I spent a month before working with a biotech company in Beijing - same opinions all round. Thats what basically settled my decision.

I also think that their curriculum and available modules in the college of business are alright. Anyways, best of luck with your decisions - I'll be going through confirmation and acceptance procedures in the coming days. If you end up going then shoot me a message!
Original post by Gusty
Gurgaon, next to New Delhi :smile: I spent a month before working with a biotech company in Beijing - same opinions all round. Thats what basically settled my decision.

I also think that their curriculum and available modules in the college of business are alright. Anyways, best of luck with your decisions - I'll be going through confirmation and acceptance procedures in the coming days. If you end up going then shoot me a message!

Oooo nice i live in bangalore! :biggrin:
And yes will do! Good luck to you too! :smile::smile:
Reply 26
hello, would you mind sharing with me what your condition was?
ohh i see thats nice... why do you think that people dont prefer choosing cityu over other universities? i mean being 108 in the world is pretty impressive right? but everyone is always all nooo ill keep cityu only as backup... :/

what was ur offer?

Quick Reply