The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can you study one year of OU and then do the next two years in Uni?

Original post by elmosandy

You can in theory but you will have to ask the universities you fancy going to if they will accept it. However if they do allow you to enrol they are likely take first year of OU in lieu of A levels so you would have to do level 1 with them again. this is because the first year (level1) of the OU is aimed to get everyone up to speed ready for level 2 as people are starting with various academic backgrounds, some will have no GCSEs, A levels etc so it starts at the basics and progressively gets harder by the end of level 1. It will also depend on what topics are covered in the modules as you might not have the required prerequisites for their level 2s (this varies in itself uni to uni regardless of open or brick).

The OU do Open Plus degrees in conjunction with brick unis where you do some distance study and then move into studying at brick uni but I'm not sure what subjects and geographical regions this is offered at. Best to call OU and look at website and prospectuses.

ETA: heres link for open plus scheme: http://www.open.ac.uk/choose/openplus/
(edited 9 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Yeah, the first year at the OU is generally quite low. You know what you might prefer? Take two year 2 modules from the OU - I'd be surprised if a uni did not accept you into year 2 then.
Original post by BestProfileName
Yeah, the first year at the OU is generally quite low. You know what you might prefer? Take two year 2 modules from the OU - I'd be surprised if a uni did not accept you into year 2 then.

Is that not harder to do these days without first doing level 1? As they changed a load of rules (and as such I'm not completely up to date with some of them) but it did sound like standalone modules are less doable these days as you have to registered for a qualification and have to complete one level before can move onto the next? But even if did manage to do level 2 modules still best to ask brick unis before registering for them as they might not accept them or want you to do others based on what the prerequisite knowledge they want you to have for their courses. There is also the option of doing A levels by distance learning and not bothering with OU at all and applying to brick uni (A levels cheaper and don't technically have to go with and pay distance provider as can self teach them and pay to sit exams as private candidate). But these are all options that need researched and to be weighed up to find best option for yourself.
It might harder - I'm not sure. I do agree that it is best to ask the universities and then plan accordingly. Couldn't take more than an hour or so to badger some.
Original post by BestProfileName
It might harder - I'm not sure. I do agree that it is best to ask the universities and then plan accordingly. Couldn't take more than an hour or so to badger some.

Yup and at least you know before committing to anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest