Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I need some help with the following question:

The origin in terms of co ordinate geometry is regarded at the (0,0). I found the values of X which = (3q,0) and Y = (0,4). If O is the origin which = (0,0), and OX=2OY, surely this would mean (0)(3q)=2(0)(4)? Why is this not correct I'm confused , the value of q=8/3, why ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool-Light)

The origin in terms of co ordinate geometry is regarded at the (0,0). I found the values of X which = (3q,0) and Y = (0,4). If O is the origin which = (0,0), and OX=2OY, surely this would mean (0)(3q)=2(0)(4)? Why is this not correct I'm confused , the value of q=8/3, why ?
    why are you multiplying by zero?!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

I don't see where the problem is!

Distance OX = 3q
    Distance OY = 4

You're told that OX = 2OY so 3q = 8 and q = 8/3 as required.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

OX is simply the x coordinate of X, and OY is the y coordinate of Y so OX=2OY is simply saying that 3q=8

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I feel like ripping my hair out. I understand bits and pieces, but I don't understand why not simply write X=2Y, rather than writing OX=2OY. I thought I'd substitute the value of X and Y into the equation, and as the origin is (0,0) I'd sub that in also, hence why I thought is multiply it out but this is wrong, why..?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I feel like ripping my hair out. I understand bits and pieces, but I don't understand why not simply write X=2Y, rather than writing OX=2OY. I thought I'd substitute the value of X and Y into the equation, and as the origin is (0,0) I'd sub that in also, hence why I thought is multiply it out but this is wrong, why..?
    OX means the distance from O to X i.e. |OX|, which is essentially the actual coordinate of x since we measure from the origin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    OX means the distance from O to X i.e. |OX|, which is essentially the actual coordinate of x since we measure from the origin.
    OHHH, mother. Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    OHHH, mother. Thank youu
    no worries ...
    keep your hair on

ReputationRep:
    Okay suppose O equals (3,4), would this then mean: 4(3q)=2(12), which would mean 12q=24, therefore q would = 2? Is this the correct way to approach this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    no worries ...
    keep your hair on
    LOOL I'll try too... Last question:
    suppose O equals (3,4), would this then mean: 4(3q)=2(12), which would mean 12q=24, therefore q would = 2? Is this the correct way to approach this?

ReputationRep:
    LOOL I'll try too... Last question:
    suppose O equals (3,4), would this then mean: 4(3q)=2(12), which would mean 12q=24, therefore q would = 2? Is this the correct way to approach this?
    No

then you have to use the distance formula to find an expression for distance(remeber the "square root formula for distance between points" from your C1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    No

then you have to use the distance formula to find an expression for distance(remeber the "square root formula for distance between points" from your C1
    I don't remember the equation, but I'm
    Just about to google it

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember the equation, but I'm
    Just about to google it
    Ahh I remember this!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I remember this!
    all good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    all good
    I need to put pen to paperand work this out later, currently in a lesson! Just got told off . Wondering if you could help me later or whenever?

ReputationRep:
    I need to put pen to paperand work this out later, currently in a lesson! Just got told off . Wondering if you could help me later or whenever?
    I will not unfortunately because I start teaching at 15.30 but I ma sure there many good people around.

all the best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.