Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I commute which means I'm always turning up to lectures, practicals, etc... by myself. Most people turn up in small groups as they walk into campus with whoever is in their halls who does the same course.

I try and make small talk but I find it awkward when there's a group of people next to me all chatting about personal things (not really personal, but something I'd have no say in e.g. their decision on which house to place a deposit on, what so-and-so in their social group said/did, etc).

Earlier I sat down in a lecture and as soon as I did the two girls to my right moved one seat across so there was a one seat gap between us. I thought that was kinda rude and I'm not sure why they did that. I don't smell or anything lol...

I'm wondering if I give off a bad impression. I've had people say things like "ooh you gave so and so such a dirty look" when I was merely glancing at them. I think I give off a bad vibe and it makes me seem unapproachable? Idk...

Do you have any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    You do find that people like a bit of personal space in a lecture theatre if there are enough seats. Even when I went in with others, we still left an empty seat between us if we could. If you've walked up to a stranger and sat right next to them when there was room to leave space, that might have seemed a bit odd.

It's a quirky bit of lecture etiquette, so not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a lot of other people are turning up to lectures on their own..

and yeah like stated above people like to leave space around them. It would be a little weird to sit next to a complete stranger especially if the lecture hall is huge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkliest)
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I commute which means I'm always turning up to lectures, practicals, etc... by myself. Most people turn up in small groups as they walk into campus with whoever is in their halls who does the same course.

I try and make small talk but I find it awkward when there's a group of people next to me all chatting about personal things (not really personal, but something I'd have no say in e.g. their decision on which house to place a deposit on, what so-and-so in their social group said/did, etc).

Earlier I sat down in a lecture and as soon as I did the two girls to my right moved one seat across so there was a one seat gap between us. I thought that was kinda rude and I'm not sure why they did that. I don't smell or anything lol...

I'm wondering if I give off a bad impression. I've had people say things like "ooh you gave so and so such a dirty look" when I was merely glancing at them. I think I give off a bad vibe and it makes me seem unapproachable? Idk...

I found it was difficult to make friends in lectures due to the size and the fact there is less of a chance to talk to people, especially if you don't turn up early like me! In practicals do you not have a lab partner or smaller group at least you can talk to? All my course friends were made in seminars because they were much smaller and there was always at least one or two people happy to chat because they weren't in the same group as their friends.

Alternatively don't worry about the course and sign up for some societies.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sparkliest)

I remember one of my earliest lecture: there was about 250 of us and there was only about 200 seats. Quickly saw a seat, and took it. It was awks at first but then this guy just randomly said "oh so are yout aking this module or etc etc" and then we just went from there. However, I have forgotten his name and have not seen or spoke to him since! I am quite lucky in terms of I have 3 people in my building who do Classics so when we have a lecture we usually just meet and go there it's great. However I am changing degree to Medieval Studies and I do have a friend who I will be going with 'cause she does English too!

My friends who are in their 2nd year said "i made friends just by sitting next to someone and speaking to them". About 6/7 different friends said the exact same thing. If you are gonna sit next to them make sure you actually speak to them and don't just mind your own business cause I don't think it's nice making other people uncomfortable! Just say "hey I'm so and so. This is so awks, but.." n kick it off like that. That's how I did most of it.

I do think lecturers should actually introduce students to others. It does annoy me how lecturers don't show any empathy. But I know 2 pair of lecturers made all of us turn around n work in small groups (250) of us and we had to discuss why was Classical Literature important. They legit were like "we will give you 10 mins. 5 mins to sit there in awkward silence and then 5 mins to actually discuss. We will not start until this room is filled with noise. So talk". We found it funny and slowly but surely the room got louder and louder. I really do wish all lecturers were interactive. But you said "labs" so I perhaps wonder you are doing a BSc so it might be harder.

You have to just go into it and make friends. People are in the exact same situation "oh should i sit next to that person?" etc. I've done it and I know people have sat next to me (through knowing me as I manage a subject page on fb so constantly updating/making conversation on there) and I know people have sat next to me waiting for a conversation but they are jus ttoo nervous to say something. It just depends on who the person is. I looooove to talk and communicate so I never let it bother me.

For example, myself and friends came from a uni open day, we saw a young dude who was alone in line of the coach coming back home... us 3went onto the coach, we saw him sit next to some old person we wa slike"oh he looks lonely"... So they all told me to go up to him and say "heey me and my friends were wondering would you like to join us?" and he was like "yeah sure!" and that was it! Like you will make friendships just by doing that. I only went for it cause they said "you are the confident one of our group". I thought "am I? That's nice you THINK that". But I gained a lot of confidence and I think jus tthat one experience helped me at uni a lot. You just gotta plunge in man!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.