Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    TV and FM transmissions in North America are required to have horizontal polarization. This means the rods will be effective if horizontal. Some TV and most FM transmissions have additional vertical polarized energy. To receive this energy, the rods will have to be vertical, as is the case with an automobile antenna. Vertically polarized radio waves are more prone to reflection, leading to multipath. Your antenna should be carefully positioned to obtain optimum reception on all television channels. Sometimes this may mean a high gain antenna with mast head amplifier (booster). Failure to fit a good quality antenna often leads to poor reception on one or more channels. As television reception can vary dramatically over distances of a few feet or even a few inches, the precise location of your antenna can have a big influence on the quality of reception you obtain on each of the channels. A good way to mount the antenna is on a crank shaped, stand off pole, allowing sideways movement of the antenna during installation. Vertically polarized antennas must be fixed to the pole using an end mount behind the reflector like the antennas in Fig 1 & 2, the U shaped support bracket on some larger antennas interferes with the antenna's pick up pattern when mounted vertically.
    From some random site about antenna installation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    oh i c now, so your sayin all i have to do is rotate the aerial and check the tv set to c if the signal is strong or weak
    yes. if you turn the aerial and the signal changes, they are polarised. if the signal stays constant, they are not polarised.

ReputationRep:
    elpaw u at uni?
    and hitchhiker wot u get for your AS's?

ReputationRep:
    oh i c now, so your sayin all i have to do is rotate the aerial and check the tv set to c if the signal is strong or weak

Yes we said that a while ago.

i cwot your sayin there not askin me to do wot im asking u, but even still transverse waves r no WAY confined to a single plane, unless they have been polarized thru some kind of filter
    But they are.

ReputationRep:
    elpaw u at uni?
    and hitchhiker wot u get for your AS's?
    Haven't done them yet. Coming up now in June.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt know tht, and i have neva been told that

ReputationRep:
    i didnt know tht, and i have neva been told that
    Well now you do! Isn't learning fun
    Good luck with the exam.

ReputationRep:
    im only doin it cos i enjoy it(optional)
    im off to do my maths degree in october

ReputationRep:
    im only doin it cos i enjoy it(optional)
    im off to do my maths degree in october

Isn't AEA always optional?
    Anyway, good luck with your degree too.
    What uni is it?

I'm off to bed - I've got school in the morning!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.