The Student Room Group

Is it possible from E to A?

Scroll to see replies

Forget E grades- I had a couple of U's and E's at AS History (the Tudors Edexcel sources paper), at the end of the year I got over the threshold for A which is about 80%- I got 87%.

How?

I don't actually know.
I could never remember anything from the revision I did in class.

On a serious note- I did a LOT of revision though.
Original post by Anne james
I'm doing AS levels this May/June and I ended up with CCEF for my mocks (Maths, Biology, English lang and Chemistry) and I'm aiming for AAAA hopefully. I'd like to know how you've studied (the techniques you've used) for your A levels.:smile:

Don't lose heart, AAAA is perfectly within your grasp with some hard work.

The best revision techniques for you are likely to be different to those that best suit me, as it is such an individual thing. However, what I would do is read a page or two of a textbook (a subtopic within a topic/chapter) and really try and understand the main points that have been covered. I would then draw a mindmap of the topic and summarise that page in a couple sentences (coming off the mindmap).

I would do that for the entire chapter, and then make brief (only key facts, points and terms you need to know) notes on the chapter.

For me, that helped with the understanding, which I was lacking most in. Learning has three parts: understanding, memorising and applying.

Understanding is, obviously, knowing what you are talking about and being able to see how things are the way they are.

Memorising I'm better at, as it's just regurgitation of a textbook (which anyone can do if they make condensed (don't copy word for word, it's a complete waste of time) notes and re read/re highlight.

Applying is all about exam technique, which can only be learnt in two ways: practice and examiner reports.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by PiersChoo
I just got an E and i am super depressing about that . Should i work hard for my A2 instead of retake my AS again? If i work up for my A2 will i still get an A ?
I worked really hard at A1 but my result just brutal for me and i guess i was working hard in the wrong way .

Can be possible? !

50% chance to get C ,
30% chance to get B ,
if you really work hard 15 % chance to get A ...

GooD LuCk
You can but it's a lot of hard work! (did it for 2 modules :tongue: )
I just got an E and i am super depressing about that . Should i work hard for my A2 instead of retake my AS again? If i work up for my A2 will i still get an A ?
I worked really hard at A1 but my result just brutal for me and i guess i was working hard in the wrong way .

Yeah you can, but you'll have to retake it.

Story time;

My AS grades:

Bio:d
Chem:d
Physics:e
Maths:e

My Final grades:

Bio B<--I literally hate this, it was only because they marked the entire classes' coursework down.
Chem A
Physics A

In order to do that I did 7 exams the next January, 4 AS and 3 A2. Got A in all of them!

Dropped maths although I might be doing that externally soon. Maybe. Not sure when the deadline for admission is...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rik108
Retake AS youll do much better second time round, also focus on A2 do not neglect it!

I myself was on an E at AS and achieved A* at the end, it is possible. I probably achieved an E because i did no work, then i realized i needed to put in effort.

I heard you can do AS and A2 at the same time ....

Are you doing CIE A-Levels though?
I worked really hard for my AS level as well but i don't know why i got this bloody awful result . I studied everyday and asked teacher whatever i don't understand but i still get this awful result . Can you please tell me what should i do so i can get better result ?

Do as many past papers as possible and look at the mark schemes, self mark them and then do them again... after doing them a few times try timing them
Went from an E (AS Chem) to an A* overall in chemistry.
Possible with hard work.
You need to turn that de motivation and that depression into something positive, its the only way.
Original post by Comeback
Don't lose heart, AAAA is perfectly within your grasp with some hard work.

The best revision techniques for you are likely to be different to those that best suit me, as it is such an individual thing. However, what I would do is read a page or two of a textbook (a subtopic within a topic/chapter) and really try and understand the main points that have been covered. I would then draw a mindmap of the topic and summarise that page in a couple sentences (coming off the mindmap).

I would do that for the entire chapter, and then make brief (only key facts, points and terms you need to know) notes on the chapter.

For me, that helped with the understanding, which I was lacking most in. Learning has three parts: understanding, memorising and applying.

Understanding is, obviously, knowing what you are talking about and being able to see how things are the way they are.

Memorising I'm better at, as it's just regurgitation of a textbook (which anyone can do if they make condensed (don't copy word for word, it's a complete waste of time) notes and re read/re highlight.

Applying is all about exam technique, which can only be learnt in two ways: practice and examiner reports.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thaaanx a bunch :h:
Yes you can. In my first AS Business exam, I had something like a panic attack and completely blew it, ended up with an E grade. I retook the exam later on in the year and got an A. It depends on why you didn't do well in the first place. For me, it wasn't because I didn't know my stuff, it was because I panicked and convinced myself I couldn't do it before I'd even tried. If you work hard and believe you can do it, you should be able to pull the E up to something better.
Original post by Anne james
Thaaanx a bunch :h:

I'm not doing a levels but one thing I've noticed thats working for me and works for others who get good grades is writing notes and detailed explanations after each section of the specification. It allows you to know exactly what you need to study in detail without going of into subjects the book touches on but the exam board doesn't necessarily want you to know.

I don't feel like this method is always used by people enough but the people who do use it seem to do well..

If you read through the spec and you don't understand i you can go straight back to your notes and study it exactly as needed..
Reply 31
Original post by Comeback
I received a E in an AS Biology unit before (and I revised for it quite a lot, which was depressing). After feeling down, I worked my confidence back up and resat it last summer after revising again - this time much more effectively by using different techniques, and far more past paper practice. I got a high A (not full UMS, but still far over the boundary).

Anything is possible with hard work :smile:

(Don't count on getting an A, or high A, in your A2 - better to resit AS modules to pull your grade up).

May i ask what techniques did you use? I really need to get good result for this coming exam :<
Reply 32
Thanks guys , you guys really helped me a lot . Now its time to work my ass off!!
Reply 33
Original post by elmosandy

Yeap ! But i am not doing it together , i will do my A1 on May and A2 on December or november
Reply 34
Original post by elmosandy

I was retook my as exams alongside my A2. I did OCR Chemistry.

What subject is it?

Just continue into A2. You will have to retake probably both AS papers if you want to to get that A for GCE A level overall.

It isn't a good idea to retake AS. It feels depressing and you will feel left behind. Once you start A2 you will feel more dedicated and will work harder anyway...hopefully:s-smilie:. I'm speaking from experience. I retook AS and I regret it and I will definitely not recommend anyone to retake when they have passed, even if it is E!! When you work hard you will find out how is easy it is to improve your grade.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Raymat
What subject is it?

Just continue into A2. You will have to retake probably both AS papers if you want to to get that A for GCE A level overall.

It isn't a good idea to retake AS. It feels depressing and you will feel left behind. Once you start A2 you will feel more dedicated and will work harder anyway...hopefully:s-smilie:. I'm speaking from experience. I retook AS and I regret it and I will definitely not recommend anyone to retake when they have passed, even if it is E!! When you work hard you will find out how is easy it is to improve your grade.

Yeap it is really depressing . All my friends got very good grades but for me i got awful grades , and i am the only one who is not going to sit exam with them and not going to apply for universe with them . Feels so ****ty :<
Original post by Raymat
What subject is it?

Do both. Nothing more depressing than getting an A dragged down to a C because of your AS grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an E or perhaps a U after my first AS maths exam (I got a U in something, might have been physics). Did a resit in June and a resit again in year 13 (self taught) and got it up to a B. It's easy if you put the effort in, the tricky part is putting the effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest