Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just some questions for anybody who's done their year abroad in China, Japan or Korea.

How long did you spend over there? From what month to what month?

How much did it cost extra to your degree?

Are you well looked after by SEAS while overseas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livvyxo)
    Just some questions for anybody who's done their year abroad in China, Japan or Korea.

How long did you spend over there? From what month to what month?

How much did it cost extra to your degree?

Are you well looked after by SEAS while overseas?
    Hey Livvy

I'm a 3rd year Chinese with Japanese student at Sheffield and did my year abroad in Nanjing last year.

I can't talk for Korean or Japanese studies, but for your year abroad in China, you're required to be out there from the start of September until mid June, depending on the start dates and summer exams at Nanjing university, although quite a few people do stay out there for a bit longer. I went out to China at the end of August and returned to the UK at the end of the following June.

You can claim Student Finance as usual for your year abroad. Tuition fees were reduced to £2000 when I went abroad, which is a massive saving to the usual £9000. It's also possible to get a scholarship of 1700RMB (about £170) a month from the Chinese government on top of any student finance and money from family, which actually goes surprisingly far-China's so cheap

SEAS are really good at year abroads. They're very helpful beforehand when it comes to getting visas and helping with medicals. They're also always there if to need any help while abroad. All you need to do is send them an email and they'll get back to you very quickly

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.