Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this isn't the right section to post in, but I thought someone in Medicine might know.

I was considering taking part in a clinical trial, but after a couple of screenings I've decided to pull out as the way I've been treated has been absolutely awful. Not sure how much detail I want to go into in the off chance anyone involved in any of them is on here, but it's been a total shambles TBH (the guy running the study was a complete bully to me for no reason, among other things).

I don't want to give away the name of the place the trial is being done, but it's at a university. Besides pulling out, I'm honestly thinking of complaining as I feel this isn't acceptable. However, is this likely to get taken seriously or just "brushed under the carpet" by the university's clinical trials team? If it's just passed onto the very people whom I'm complaining about to deal with, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbitt)
    Sorry if this isn't the right section to post in, but I thought someone in Medicine might know.

I was considering taking part in a clinical trial, but after a couple of screenings I've decided to pull out as the way I've been treated has been absolutely awful. Not sure how much detail I want to go into in the off chance anyone involved in any of them is on here, but it's been a total shambles TBH (the guy running the study was a complete bully to me for no reason, among other things).

I don't want to give away the name of the place the trial is being done, but it's at a university. Besides pulling out, I'm honestly thinking of complaining as I feel this isn't acceptable. However, is this likely to get taken seriously or just "brushed under the carpet" by the university's clinical trials team? If it's just passed onto the very people whom I'm complaining about to deal with, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.
    Hi, sorry to hear about your experience. Why would they be rude if you're volunteering as a subject :/ just seems bizzare

Anyways, you can complain, but I'm not sure how "seriously" it'll be taken given I don't know what kind of treatment you were subject to. But if you feel strongly about it, then I'd advise you to go ahead with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    Hi, sorry to hear about your experience. Why would they be rude if you're volunteering as a subject :/ just seems bizzare

Anyways, you can complain, but I'm not sure how "seriously" it'll be taken given I don't know what kind of treatment you were subject to. But if you feel strongly about it, then I'd advise you to go ahead with it
    Thanks . It was only one person in particular who was actually rude, but the general way I've been treated (again, dw to go into too many details, though I can PM you if you're curious) has also been pretty bad.

I'm guessing you study/studied Medicine, do you know anything about how this kind of thing is handled by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's a huge shame and a big surprise - I've done lots of clinical trials from simple cognitive tests to vaccine trials, and everyone involved has always come across as extremely grateful, especially the research leads whose work I am enabling!

I would complain - losing volunteers because of simple correctable problems is a big deal and you complaining the only way they'll know to improve. It might be ignored, it might be swept under the carpet until further problems arise, who knows, but either way its the right thing to do and might make a big difference to the operation of the trials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's a huge shame and a big surprise - I've done lots of clinical trials from simple cognitive tests to vaccine trials, and everyone involved has always come across as extremely grateful, especially the research leads whose work I am enabling!

I would complain - losing volunteers because of simple correctable problems is a big deal and you complaining the only way they'll know to improve. It might be ignored, it might be swept under the carpet until further problems arise, who knows, but either way its the right thing to do and might make a big difference to the operation of the trials.
    Thanks Any suggestions as to how? Should I contact my local trials team or the university specifically?

I don't really want my complaint just to be sent straight to the people I'm complaining about, TBH, but I'm not sure how these are handled.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.