Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Double Booked - have I done enough to pay her back? watch

Announcements

Hello,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm of the type of nature that I allow anything bad that I've done, small or big, to eat away at me. Feeling guilty is a constant way of being for me.

This is by no means a serious problem and it was my own fault. There are far bigger problems than mine but I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance.

I'm currently living abroad. I've been abroad since October (was home for Christmas) and now I'm abroad again till April/May.

I had agreed to go to a gig with a girl who I've only met twice at an exercise class we both take and don't know that well at all but she posted in our class group chat that she wanted to go to this concert and that it would cost 26 euros. I said I would go, stupidly thinking I was free. I've only gone and double booked myself because it completely slipped my mind that that was the exact date my family are visiting for a family birthday. They're here between the 12th and 15th Feb.

Unfortunately, the girl has booked and paid for her ticket as we had agreed to book it and I was going to do mine last night until I realised the mistake I made. I feel absolutely awful but I feel like I need to go with my family as they're only here for 4 days.

I feel absolutely awful for this. The guilt I'm feeling right now is so bad and I know I deserve it. Have I done enough? I've offered to pay her back the money for the ticket as I don't think she can get it refunded and I've also offered to either make her a meal or take her out for one. There's also an exhibition here that I've offered to pay for for her.

I know money is not a way to make something up to someone and I know I'm probably being really selfish by choosing my parents over her when I had agreed to the concert. But have I done enough? I'm feeling so guilty and I know I've been really selfish.

I know this is nowhere near the worst problem a person can have but I was just wondering what either people think?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If your parents are around for four days then I would have thought you could go to the concert during this time.

ReputationRep:
    since it's a genuine mistake I'd say paying her back for the ticket if she can't find anyone to go with is plenty... if it was the 5th time this had happened maybe you should feel bad but you've made plenty of amends so I wouldn't worry

(Original post by Muttley79)
    If your parents are around for four days then I would have thought you could go to the concert during this time.
    I really want to but it's just because the concert is the last night that my family are here.

I've hopefully found someone else who can go with her but they've still to officially decide.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I really want to but it's just because the concert is the last night that my family are here.

I've hopefully found someone else who can go with her but they've still to officially decide.
    Thank you for replying so quickly

(Original post by Muttley79)
    Thank you for replying so quickly. Sorry, I accidentally replied to my own post saying that

(Original post by doodle_333)
    since it's a genuine mistake I'd say paying her back for the ticket if she can't find anyone to go with is plenty... if it was the 5th time this had happened maybe you should feel bad but you've made plenty of amends so I wouldn't worry
    Thank you so much for getting back to me and for reassuring me. I've been talking to someone who will hopefully be able to go with her but she's still to decide.

Thank you very much for helping me.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your so sweet. Would be great to have a friend like you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Way more than enough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.