Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am hoping to study medicine, ideally at the University of Glasgow, however I am aware I require further study first. I have been looking at the SWAP West Access to Medical Studies, does anybody know if this is definitely accepted as entrance criteria in place of Highers?

I am about to turn 25, and will not receive any tuition fees paid for me - are there any other financial support routes I could look at?

Thanks,

Emma

ReputationRep:
    You should really ring up their admissions department and ask about non-Highers/A-Level qualifications. They are also likely to tell you about funding options - or at least indicate where you can find the necessary information.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on the SWAP Access to Medical Studies course - although for Veterinary Medicine. The course provides an entrance qualification to Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and other science degrees at unis in the west of Scotland.
    Some other universities accept it but you would need to phone round.
    Some people from the course this year have had interviews, not sure how many though. I believe some oral health applicants have had offers post interview already.
    Feel free to ask anything else, if I can answer it I will!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shrap)
    I'm currently on the SWAP Access to Medical Studies course - although for Veterinary Medicine. The course provides an entrance qualification to Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and other science degrees at unis in the west of Scotland.
    Some other universities accept it but you would need to phone round.
    Some people from the course this year have had interviews, not sure how many though. I believe some oral health applicants have had offers post interview already.
    Feel free to ask anything else, if I can answer it I will!
    Thank you!

Are you taking the course at Glasgow Kelvin? If so it would be wonderful if you could answer a couple questions I've been trying to find out about:

Given the course is not eligible for SAAS assistance financially, what support is available for funding? I'm totally clueless as to whether I would have to pay the fees myself (and what they even are) or if the course is funded by other means? I guess I want to be prepared so that if all goes well I've had as much time to save as possible in case I have to self fund.

Any advice for the interviews? I'm hoping to find out in the next 2-3 weeks if I've been selected for one so I'm keeping everything crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes we've been at the Springburn campus (old North glasgow college building on flemington street)

Funding depends on your past education history. I'm pretty sure you get your fees paid for no matter what as I have been at uni within the last 4 years and have been told mine are covered. Unfortunately for a bursary I am having to appeal because I have received funding at a higher level with the 4 year period.
    If you are eligible as a self supporting student (evidence of self supporting for 3 years) the maximum you get is £90/week I think. But household income (partner etc) is taken into account. I'm sure there's a link for bursaries in the college website.

Interviews will likely be taken by Kenny and Jill. Jill is lovely, Kenny doesn't give much away lol! Just relax. Make sure you know why you want to do Medicine, that the course is fast paced. Hopefully show that you are capable of it with some sort of example. Your skills and weaknesses - again with example of where you have developed these.
    Relevant work experience.
    Show you know the career. You'll be fine

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I didn't realise you don't get your fees paid when you're 25. I think you would have to self fund, or use your bursary money if eligible.

I have just received a conditional offer for Vet Med at Bristol through this course so its definitely accepted! And some of the class have had offers for Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 27 yrs old and I would live to do this course but an I to old ? I want to do Veterinary Medicine but worried I have waited to long. How many people are accepted onto this course ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Just wondering if you have had an interview for this course yet?

Jennifer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni26-12)
    Hello,

Just wondering if you have had an interview for this course yet?

Jennifer
    I found out just before the weekend that I have an interview on Wednesday this week. It has been a long wait to hear so I am really pleased. Trying to stay calm and fight the nerves - hoping for a good outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmajoannewilson)
    I found out just before the weekend that I have an interview on Wednesday this week. It has been a long wait to hear so I am really pleased. Trying to stay calm and fight the nerves - hoping for a good outcome.

Hello Emma

Good to hear from you, how did your interview go today?

I had my interview couple weeks ago and still waiting to hear bk from them. Did they give you an indication of time scale of offering placements?

Jennifer

ReputationRep:
    Hello Emma

Good to hear from you, how did your interview go today?

I had my interview couple weeks ago and still waiting to hear bk from them. Did they give you an indication of time scale of offering placements?

Jennifer
    I think my lack of experience, unless I can finally get some shadowing ASAP, will trip me up sadly.

I believe the hope is to make decisions by the end of the month, I think he said they will be offering around 12 places, to 500+ applications. Gulp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmajoannewilson)
    I think my lack of experience, unless I can finally get some shadowing ASAP, will trip me up sadly.

I believe the hope is to make decisions by the end of the month, I think he said they will be offering around 12 places, to 500+ applications. Gulp.
    My goodness as little as that!? I was informed at my interview 2 classes were running or maybe i picked that up wrong.

Its a long time to wait for sure! Considering i applied in feb!

I am a dental nurse looking to progress and become a mature student. As i never fulfilled my studies as a teenager.

What background are you coming from?

Jennifer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jennifer ,,, I got an offer of place on this course since last week ... I hope you already received a decision after the interview.

Ferdi

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Yes I accepted my place yesterday got the letter friday! Such a relief!!!!!! This is now exciting. Challenge to look forward to. Do you know of anyone that has done this course before?

Jennifer

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Yes I accepted my place yesterday got the letter friday! Such a relief!!!!!! This is now exciting. Challenge to look forward to. Do you know of anyone that has done this course before?

Jennifer
    Hi Jennifer ...No, I don't know ,,, I applied last year but they did not give me an offer ,,,, according to what I have read, the course is really challenging because we must pass each unit with over 80%. but at the moment we should focus on the UKCAT and our personal statement. I went to the campus this morning because I haven't received my bursary form yet and they told me that before the end of next week everybody will receive the application form.

Ferdi

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jennifer I am a dental nurse if 16 years with no highers and wanting to do the access to medical science course to apply to dental therapy , is this what you done ? Am 33 so time running out lol ! Did you get accepted and how is the course , what funding do you get Thanks k

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.