The Student Room Group

Suspension - criteria

Would appreciate views on this.
I am a mature student - second year arts.
Have to sell my house now to repay mortgage (not re-buying ), debts etc, family issues and more, having to re-locate area too. Not ill/mental health problems. Will be huge amount of work to deal with these and cannot give time needed to a full-time course. Will be speaking to uni soon.
Do any of you with suitable experience of this think the above would satisfy criteria for suspension as I do not want to withdraw, though that may be my only option. Most research I have done says illness/mental health main criteria.
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gannywhopper
Would appreciate views on this.
I am a mature student - second year arts.
Have to sell my house now to repay mortgage (not re-buying ), debts etc, family issues and more, having to re-locate area too. Not ill/mental health problems. Will be huge amount of work to deal with these and cannot give time needed to a full-time course. Will be speaking to uni soon.
Do any of you with suitable experience of this think the above would satisfy criteria for suspension as I do not want to withdraw, though that may be my only option. Most research I have done says illness/mental health main criteria.
Thanks

Hi

I'm sorry you're having to deal with so many problems right now. At most universities, offering a suspension of studies can be done for any reason at the discretion of staff. As you're in a situation that sounds very stressful, I am sure they will do all they can to help.

Your first step would probably be to discuss this with your personal tutor. They will discuss your options with you and let you know if a suspension of studies would be possible in this situation.

Would going part time be possible for you?
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hi

I'm sorry you're having to deal with so many problems right now. At most universities, offering a suspension of studies can be done for any reason at the discretion of staff. As you're in a situation that sounds very stressful, I am sure they will do all they can to help.

Your first step would probably be to discuss this with your personal tutor. They will discuss your options with you and let you know if a suspension of studies would be possible in this situation.

Would going part time be possible for you?

Hi - thanks
A very positive answer! Part-time no, as can't afford student fees.
I will do as you suggest. GW
Hi - thanks
A very positive answer! Part-time no, as can't afford student fees.
I will do as you suggest. GW

Assuming you're currently entitled to a fees loan, you would still be entitled to a fees loan if you went part time. There's some more information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=597-Part-time-students#navmoney

Good luck with everything.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Assuming you're currently entitled to a fees loan, you would still be entitled to a fees loan if you went part time. There's some more information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=597-Part-time-students#navmoney

Good luck with everything.

Many thanks - I will look at the link now.
Reply 5
Many thanks - I will look at the link now.

It is very helpful
Reply 6
It is very helpful

Hi - update.
I successfully suspended at end of first term in second year - Jan 2015.
Would have to repeat year on return.
Home situation still not resolved practically.
Can I suspend to Sept 2016? Course I was on will no longer exist as they have ended it.
I could transfer to another uni if I can suspend til 2016.
Would the above be possible?
Advice welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending