Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elder Scrolls Online - Pay once, Play forever watch

ReputationRep:
    So Bethesda have dropped their subscription system of elder scrolls online, Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Good thing really. Doubt I'll get it, but this does make it more likely.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked the beta but was put off by the monthly fee. So this might of changed my mind about playing it again!

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts are that if they hadn't made the piece of **** known as Elder Scrolls Online, we might have had the Elder Scrolls 6 by now.

ReputationRep:
    Will this also be for when they finally release the console versions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, in fact they are dropping it on the day the console ver comes out
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    It's what most people predicted, was a bit bizarre that it was ever subscription based. Only down side is subscriptions are good for building credit history :,(

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I love elder scrolls series, But I couldn't bring myself to pay for that expensive monthly Sub.
    Now i'm so fricken excited to start my adventure, but ALAS exams are here :>
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    It's what most people predicted, was a bit bizarre that it was ever subscription based. Only down side is subscriptions are good for building credit history :,(
    I don't think it is actually that bizarre, they know that many PC gamers are willing to pay it, so make money off them until they drop it, as planned, On console release. I would not be surprised if that was the plan, or at least to drop it shortly after console release. Not exactly a moral thing to do, but not a bad business strategy either. I guess I will start playing it again when it changes. June isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll wait and see how they handle the transition and if non-subs get gimped, but if it remains a level playing field for those who just buy the game outright I'll most likely give it a go. Lots of content and more Elder Scrolls lore to delve through are enough to win me over once I don't have to pay through the nose on a monthly basis.

(Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    My thoughts are that if they hadn't made the piece of **** known as Elder Scrolls Online, we might have had the Elder Scrolls 6 by now.
    The game was published by Bethesda but made by one of their other developers, Zenimax. Bethesda Game Studios, the development team responsible for the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series, weren't involved in the making of TESO and have probably been working on the next game(s) in one of those series all this time :yep:

(Original post by Pulse.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, although the last we heard an Xbox Live subscription will still be required for online play. Playstation users apparently won't need a PSN subscription though.

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    If the rumoured production cost of the game of $200million is accurate, it makes TESO among the most expensive games ever made. Charging for a monthly subscription upon release, when demand is at its highest, is the single best way of recouping as much of that value back as possible in a relatively short space of time. Once the game has made enough money, interest begins petering out and Warcraft starts reclaiming its userbase, moving to a F2P/pay once model becomes the best option.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Gofre)
    If the rumoured production cost of the game of $200million is accurate, it makes TESO among the most expensive games ever made. Charging for a monthly subscription upon release, when demand is at its highest, is the single best way of recouping as much of that value back as possible in a relatively short space of time. Once the game has made enough money, interest begins petering out and Warcraft starts reclaiming its userbase, moving to a F2P/pay once model becomes the best option.

True. Part of me thinks they lost out though on a long term fan base, and it's sad to see it going the way of SWTOR. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Well put it this way. The game still wasnt made by Bethesda, instead it was built by Zenimax Online. For this reason alone, it should be pretty obvious that any real ES fan knew this game was gonna overhype and undeliver so badly. I liked Skyrim and Oblivion, I saw this and laughed. Feel sorry for the first day adopters though, they got suckered

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.