Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, I'm 21 and when I started uni, I was in a long term relationship with a guy that I'd been with for three years and it was a serious, committed relationship. We decided to stay together when I started uni, even though I was moving away and see each other at weekends, holidays, etc. However, I found out he was cheating on me during my first year and we split up. He asked me to forgive him, which I did, but I couldn't trust him anymore.

Since then, he has met someone else (not the person he cheated on me with) and they are engaged, but I'm still single. Admittedly this is partly because I find it hard to trust men anymore after being cheated on by him, but also because I decided to just concentrate on enjoying uni and not worry about relationships for now. However, I still see him quite a lot, as we are part of the same group of friends who I see when I go home and he seems to enjoy tormenting me about the fact that I'm still single and he's engaged.

He says I'm pathetic and weird because I haven't met anyone since we broke up. He seems to think I'm single because I'm still in love with him, but that's not the reason at all - it's been two and a half years now and I've moved on, although like I said, I still have some trust issues because of what he did. Even his fiancée says things like 'I'm sad and lonely.' Why is he doing this, as it's starting to upset me and I don't want people to think that I still have feelings for him or anything? I'm sure I'll meet someone eventually; I'm just not ready at the moment. I feel like I'm a joke or an object of fun for him and his mates, when really I'm quite happy with my life, I just don't have a partner right now. Any suggestions for how to deal with this??

ReputationRep:
    Ignore him. He needs someone just to feel secure, and he feels the need to stigmatise others who don't have that someone (and are happy and feel safe without a partner).

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like an idiot, cut contact with him and any mates who act the same way too.

How the hell is being single pathetic and weird lmao just lmao... he's the only pathetic one for having cheated. So obviously bitter that you didn't take him back lel.

Stay strong sis. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You're only 21, you have more than enough time so I wouldn't worry about it on that front! He sounds like a jerk, even if you're in the same group of friends I don't think that the fact that you were ex'es means you owe him anything, so I wouldn't bother listening to him. You allowing him to speak to you let's him feel like he has a free pass to mess with you, shut the door and you'll see who the sad one really is
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'm 21 and when I started uni, I was in a long term relationship with a guy that I'd been with for three years and it was a serious, committed relationship. We decided to stay together when I started uni, even though I was moving away and see each other at weekends, holidays, etc. However, I found out he was cheating on me during my first year and we split up. He asked me to forgive him, which I did, but I couldn't trust him anymore.

Since then, he has met someone else (not the person he cheated on me with) and they are engaged, but I'm still single. Admittedly this is partly because I find it hard to trust men anymore after being cheated on by him, but also because I decided to just concentrate on enjoying uni and not worry about relationships for now. However, I still see him quite a lot, as we are part of the same group of friends who I see when I go home and he seems to enjoy tormenting me about the fact that I'm still single and he's engaged.

He says I'm pathetic and weird because I haven't met anyone since we broke up. He seems to think I'm single because I'm still in love with him, but that's not the reason at all - it's been two and a half years now and I've moved on, although like I said, I still have some trust issues because of what he did. Even his fiancée says things like 'I'm sad and lonely.' Why is he doing this, as it's starting to upset me and I don't want people to think that I still have feelings for him or anything? I'm sure I'll meet someone eventually; I'm just not ready at the moment. I feel like I'm a joke or an object of fun for him and his mates, when really I'm quite happy with my life, I just don't have a partner right now. Any suggestions for how to deal with this??
    Why are you in contact with his horrible guy, just cut him off. You don't need people like this.

ReputationRep:
    What an absolute **** he is. You're well shot of him. Don't worry about it; concentrate on your studies and the things that are important to you.

There's plenty of time for all that stuff, especially at 21!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.