Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to be tuning in to the Windows 10 live stream in 20 minutes. I'm hoping for good things from Windows 10, its shaping up to be everything that we wanted Windows 8/8.1 to be. I'll definitely be upgrading to Windows 10 when it launches for all the enhancements its making, new GUI design, Cortana integration and DX12. So, who else will be upgrading to Windows 10 or will you stay on 8.1, 8, 7 or god forbid Vista or XP :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Linux Xubuntu and Linux Mint here, except for one PC running Windows ME as a print server and so I can pull up Word 97 if I need to.

Windows is up to v10, is it? I've never used anything more modern than XP and that includes the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    I take it the release date hasn't actually been announced?

Been holding off buying a laptop to see what this reveal is about. May just buy it with Windows 7 then I can have the option of both without the god awful Windows 8 interface...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I take it the release date hasn't actually been announced?

Been holding off buying a laptop to see what this reveal is about. May just buy it with Windows 7 then I can have the option of both without the god awful Windows 8 interface...
    Still projected for a Fall 2015 release. Its a free upgrade for 1 year(after that, if you havent upgraded you'll have to pay) for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users. Look at the main features of it, it basically destroys Windows 7 and obliterates the remains of 8. They have done something I thought they could never do and that was to impress me

ReputationRep:
    Goog God, Windows 8 has not been around for that long.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Still projected for a Fall 2015 release. Its a free upgrade for 1 year(after that, if you havent upgraded you'll have to pay) for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users. Look at the main features of it, it basically destroys Windows 7 and obliterates the remains of 8. They have done something I thought they could never do and that was to impress me
    How does it "destroy" Windows 7? Can't say I'm particularly overwhelmed by the look of Windows 10...

ReputationRep:
    Doubt I'll be waiting that long so I'll be looking at purchasing soon then! Playing chicken with the price in the hopes it falls a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    How does it "destroy" Windows 7? Can't say I'm particularly overwhelmed by the look of Windows 10...
    Well it won't do it for everyone but it rectifies the mistakes of 8 and gives us a lot of things I wanted. Multiple virtual desktop support, return of the start menu with boosted functionality, Cortana integration, continuum(a really big deal for smaller Windows devices above 8 inches, think tablets), an overhauled browser and other cool new functionality. Oh and Win32 apps can behave like modern apps which really improves the tablet experience. The aesthetic is more unified now as well, they're updating classic windows icons and old elements and making it look a whole lot more coherent. And its a free upgrade and for Windows 7 users especially this is a big deal, bigger than you and I understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Goog God, Windows 8 has not been around for that long.
    I'm happy that as an 8.1 user that we are getting the upgrade for free. I understood what Microsoft wanted to do with Windows 8 but when it was released, it didn't do everything Microsoft had hoped for and it didn't do what the userbase asked for. I am actually really satisfied and for the first time impressed with this new version of Windows, they're making it service oriented and connected. I felt that 8 wanted to do that but it was shackled to the past in more ways than one. I think this will be a real hole in one for Microsoft with this iteration, its doing so much right and its blimming free to upgrade to in the first year. That is BRILLIANT and it will help shift the enterprise over to Windows 10 and that is really important, it helps to avoid a Windows XP type thing happening again because it won't cost the enterprise a cent to upgrade(unless they're being tight wads and refusing to upgrade from laughable 2003 level hardware) to the new OS
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well it won't do it for everyone but it rectifies the mistakes of 8 and gives us a lot of things I wanted. Multiple virtual desktop support, return of the start menu with boosted functionality, Cortana integration, continuum(a really big deal for smaller Windows devices above 8 inches, think tablets), an overhauled browser and other cool new functionality. Oh and Win32 apps can behave like modern apps which really improves the tablet experience. The aesthetic is more unified now as well, they're updating classic windows icons and old elements and making it look a whole lot more coherent. And its a free upgrade and for Windows 7 users especially this is a big deal, bigger than you and I understand.
    None of that's particularly interesting for me. I just want a simple OS that runs things well. I'd love to carry on using linux mint but it's just incompatible with all the programs I need; Windows 7 is the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    None of that's particularly interesting for me. I just want a simple OS that runs things well. I'd love to carry on using linux mint but it's just incompatible with all the programs I need; Windows 7 is the next best thing.
    You wouldn't lose anything upgrading to 10, even if you just run it on a partition. Windows 7 to me faces a few problems that make it no longer viable. 7 only has support for another 5 years security wise. It won't support DX12 either. It also won't support any of the new useful features that add to the productivity experience in Windows(e.g multiple virtual desktops). Windows 7 is still a fine OS, don't get me wrong. But just give 10 a chance, its not Windows 8. Windows 8 was a true black sheep, it had the right idea but execution was sloppy, unfinished and just not there. 10 is everything we hoped 8 would be. I for one will make sure every system in my home is running on Win 10 after it launches. That includes my MacBook Pro with its 8.1 partition, my gaming desktop on 8.1 and my sisters Windows 7 SP2 laptop.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't lose anything upgrading to 10, even if you just run it on a partition. Windows 7 to me faces a few problems that make it no longer viable. 7 only has support for another 5 years security wise. It won't support DX12 either. It also won't support any of the new useful features that add to the productivity experience in Windows(e.g multiple virtual desktops). Windows 7 is still a fine OS, don't get me wrong. But just give 10 a chance, its not Windows 8. Windows 8 was a true black sheep, it had the right idea but execution was sloppy, unfinished and just not there. 10 is everything we hoped 8 would be. I for one will make sure every system in my home is running on Win 10 after it launches. That includes my MacBook Pro with its 8.1 partition, my gaming desktop on 8.1 and my sisters Windows 7 SP2 laptop.
    My trust in Windows was destroyed when I bought a computer with Vista.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    My trust in Windows was destroyed when I bought a computer with Vista.
    I think we can all agree that Vista was a disaster, it was a symptom of an ignorant, **** sure Microsoft. And it all fell to pieces for them. Then the repair job that was 7 came along and it rebuilt the rep. In that same way, Windows 8 was the failure, 8.1 was partial repair and 10 is a complete and well thought out redo. I'm worried for Windows 11 though HAHAHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    What happened to Windows 9? Or did the just re-brand it 8.1 ?

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I've been using the technical preview of Windows 10 now since it came out as my only OS, prior to that, I've been running Windows 7 since the technical preview of that was released.

I prefer Windows 10 in almost every way.

It's got much better Window Management, the virtual desktops are lovely, it's considerably quicker, it has much better PC management tools (which granted came in at Windows 8), it's just better tbh.

Yeah, the dev preview has its bugs and fewer features than seen today, but I'd happily recommend it over 7.

(Original post by Simes)
    What happened to Windows 9? Or did the just re-brand it 8.1 ?
    In a really simple way, there's lots of code out there which says

Code:
    GET OperatingSystemName
    IF OperatingSystemName IS LIKE 'Windows 9'
    THEN ERROR "Not compatible with Windows 95 or 98"

ReputationRep:
    It will interesting to see how many users they can get by offering it as a free update to Windows 7 and 8. With the exception of Cortana, I don't see any features that haven't already been in OS X for a while...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    In a really simple way, there's lots of code out there which says

Code:
    GET OperatingSystemName
    IF OperatingSystemName IS LIKE 'Windows 9'
    THEN ERROR "Not compatible with Windows 95 or 98"
    Why? Isn't that just incredibly lazy programming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    It will interesting to see how many users they can get by offering it as a free update to Windows 7 and 8. With the exception of Cortana, I don't see any features that haven't already been in OS X for a while...
    DirectX 12 will be a massive pull for gamers.

Yes, tbh. But it works.

ReputationRep:
    Very, but there's a load of lazy programmers out there and 10+ years ago people didn't think that we could have this issue. This would be MS trying to save the customers from those lazy programmers.

ReputationRep:

Hang on. Shouldn't we be calling this "Windows Two"?

:cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.