The Student Room Group

Anxiety/Depression on Rigevidon Birth Control Pill

I've been taking Rigevidon for three months now, I started it a month after my boyfriend and I got together. I've never been on any birth control before, and what I found was within a week or so, I was experiencing pretty violent mood swings. I would cry at pretty much anything, totally unlike me, since I'm quite a chilled person generally.

That was just at first, it got worse. It then turned into these endless cycles of paranoid thoughts, mostly directed towards my poor boyfriend (e.g. getting worried about his loyalty to me when he did something as little as choose to spend the evening with his friends, stuff that wouldn't bother me before.) I originally brushed it off as just me over-thinking the early stages of a relationship, since I do occasionally have a tendency to worry about things, but not nearly to this extent (e.g. sitting there crying hysterically one night when he said he was busy and couldn't stay over.)

I'm pretty sure this pill is to blame. Before I started taking it, everything was fine - no paranoia and no anxiety until I started taking this pill.

tl;dr - this pill is making me crazy. What I want to know is if anyone else has experienced this same thing on Rigevidon or any other pill?

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get another pill. I know most of the have the same hormone levels and that depression/anxiety hasn't been scientifically linked to them, but I know what it's made me feel since starting it.

Thanks!

X

Scroll to see replies

This is far from abnormal, finding the right contraception is a trial and error thing for plenty of people, so go back to your doctor and try something else. There are plenty of different pills.

Also remember that the pill is not your only option

This is a good tool to start looking at all your contraceptive options and find out what might work best for you.
https://www.brook.org.uk/our-services/category/my-contraception-tool
I've never been on any birth control before either and this is the first tablets I've taken... from the very first week I just stared crying over every little thing, the next hour I'd be laughing (out of proportion) for a silly ytube video... next hour I'd be angry, next just jumping over the bed.. and like you, I've been pretty mean to my boyfriend, everything annoys me... I've had a horrible week... I'm giving it another week and if I keep having this mood swings I will stop...
So yeah, you're not the only one...
I wouldn't recommend Ridgvedon to anyone, I had such bad anxiety and depression when I was on it that it left me feeling so low I stopped attending uni and felt suicidal. Go back to your doctors, explain how you feel and ask for another pill.
Reply 4
I'm so glad I read this.
This literally explains exactly how I feel and my poor boyfriend is too getting the stick for my crazy feelings and panicked anxiety.
I've been on Rigevidon for 4 months now and I've been so uptight and emotional ever since considering I also am an extremely laid back person with little need to cry. HOWEVER, since taking my pill, I feel like I'm constantly crying, stressed or having panic attacks (mainly in the night, especially when alone).
Did you find any pills that didn't cause this?
I'm considering getting the implant again as I had little problems with it.
I was on rigevidon for about 6 months and I had the same! I've now swapped to the mini pill and although I'm not completely back to normal, I've noticed a huge difference and I keep getting better! This definitely isn't the right pill for you in my opinion, go to your gp and try another, as one of the above posters said its all about trial and error
Reply 6
I've been on rigevidon for almost two years and for the past year I have been suffering from horrendous anxiety and mood swings, getting upset about things that never would usually bother me. Only after looking on the internet did I realise it may be the pill, so I have been to the doctors and got it changed to marvelon, could anyone who has been on this pill tell me what it's like?? Hoping it will make a difference
Hello, I am so glad I have found this thread! My doctors switched me from my Loestron 20 pill onto the combined rigevidon. The first 3 weeks of taking the pill I was my normal self however, a few days before my seven day break I started to feel more anxious, stressed and depressed. I decided to not take my final pill of the pack to get it out of my system. I have not felt myself for 10 days in total and i can tell you it has been the hardest 10 days of my life. I find it extremely hard to get motivated in the mornings, I have lack of enjoyment for things I used to love, I struggle with simple tasks and I feel disorientated. It got so bad i had to visit counselling at my university as I am not used to feeling this way. They advised me to see my doctor and the doctor took me off the pill straight away. I have now gone back onto loestron but still not feeling 100% myself. What my GP did say is that if you are experiencing mood swings in the day it is most likely hormone related so I am pleased that it may not be a psychological issue. These thoughts and feelings are so scary for people who haven't experienced them before. If anybody has had a similar situation as me what I would like to know is how long it took to start feeling your normal self? As dramatic as it sounds this pill has caused me to feel the lowest i have ever felt in my life.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been taking Rigevidon for three months now, I started it a month after my boyfriend and I got together. I've never been on any birth control before, and what I found was within a week or so, I was experiencing pretty violent mood swings. I would cry at pretty much anything, totally unlike me, since I'm quite a chilled person generally.

That was just at first, it got worse. It then turned into these endless cycles of paranoid thoughts, mostly directed towards my poor boyfriend (e.g. getting worried about his loyalty to me when he did something as little as choose to spend the evening with his friends, stuff that wouldn't bother me before.) I originally brushed it off as just me over-thinking the early stages of a relationship, since I do occasionally have a tendency to worry about things, but not nearly to this extent (e.g. sitting there crying hysterically one night when he said he was busy and couldn't stay over.)

I'm pretty sure this pill is to blame. Before I started taking it, everything was fine - no paranoia and no anxiety until I started taking this pill.

tl;dr - this pill is making me crazy. What I want to know is if anyone else has experienced this same thing on Rigevidon or any other pill?

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get another pill. I know most of the have the same hormone levels and that depression/anxiety hasn't been scientifically linked to them, but I know what it's made me feel since starting it.

Thanks!

X

Hi have you been feeling any better?
Reply 9
Hope you feel better soon! Well i had my seven day break on marvellon and felt very emotional as per usual but i have always been like that previously beforr im due on. However I have to say i havent been on my new pill marvellon very long to tell if it is suitable for me and although im not 100% out of these anxious cycles it has made a hell of a difference in hiw i feel i am much calmer and relaxed now so hoping that was the route to my problem. Worst thing to experiemce for a whole year though totally unlike me and i only recently made the link to the feeling being the pill so i was relieved to know it wasnt all on me
Original post by KiwiDream
I was on rigevidon for about 6 months and I had the same! I've now swapped to the mini pill and although I'm not completely back to normal, I've noticed a huge difference and I keep getting better! This definitely isn't the right pill for you in my opinion, go to your gp and try another, as one of the above posters said its all about trial and error

Hi, are you any better now?
I know exactly how you feel I couldn't have put it better myself I've been like this for over a year and that's how long I've been taking this pill for that anount of time aswell I'm gonna get mine changed aswell. I'm constantly having trust issues in my relationships since I've had this pill and now I know why I overthink and worry about their loyalty because it's this pill messing me up and making me feel so low I always cry 24/7 and get suicidal thoughts and now I know why! Xx
Hey was the marvelon pill any better for you?
Reply 13
I am so happy i found this thread. I have been on it for about 2 years and feel anxious and over stressed constantly. I am always having negative thoughts but have always tried to just brush it aside, not even considering the pill as an answer as to why i feel this way!! Can anyone recommend which pill is best for getting rid of these thoughts/panic attacks and meltdowns? Or is it always going to be like that no matter what pill you're on?
I know this was posted a while ago, but did you find out if it was the pill/did you come off it? Because I've been on it for 3 months now and exact same - paranoid about my boyfriend even though he's the loveliest, but I just get completely irrational thoughts and anxious all the time! Not too sure whether to change pills.. x
Original post by Emilykelly17
I know exactly how you feel I couldn't have put it better myself I've been like this for over a year and that's how long I've been taking this pill for that anount of time aswell I'm gonna get mine changed aswell. I'm constantly having trust issues in my relationships since I've had this pill and now I know why I overthink and worry about their loyalty because it's this pill messing me up and making me feel so low I always cry 24/7 and get suicidal thoughts and now I know why! Xx

I keep feeling the same thing - my boyfriend would never do anything to upset me but I just keep getting paranoid about everything and keep getting anxious and upset - do you reckon I should come off the pill?
Hey please can you message me on Facebook about it and yeah or switch to a different one I went to the doctors about a month ago and I'm going back Tuesday but I still keep feeling the same maybe just getting a tiny bit better at times x
Reply 17
hi, I've been taking rigevidon for around three months now and noticed a huge difference in my mood, attention span, concentration since ive started it. Each time ive taken the break ive felt quite low in mood, however the last break I had, even when my period ended I still felt extremely low and even though I haven't taken it Since, I still feel almost depressed and cry all the time. I rang the doctor today and they told me to come off it, however I just want to get back to feeling like myself again. I've never felt like this before in my life
Hey I came off it about a month ago and I still feel no better they changed my pill to see if I felt better from changing straight away from that pill to then having change it again and I still feel no better! Beginning to feel that I'm never going to get better 😔😔xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
This is the same for me, been about 4 months and I snap and my boyfriend and cause petty disagreements and then say sorry but I don't even understand how half of them start because of my moods, I cry at everything, I've lost concentration and focus in college and my grades and understanding after affected and I don't want this to get worse as it's not like me, has anyone changed the pill or can advise what to do?

Quick Reply

Latest