Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teachers sleeping with ex-pupils who are in adulthood - Illegal? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-30921051

A teacher from 'Educating Yorkshire' has been banned from teaching because he slept with two former pupils, both of whom had already left school, one of them was over 18.

I don't really see how this can be classed as any kind of offence, I thought this was commonplace. Legally he hasn't done anything wrong.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    That would make me uncomfortable having a teacher like that in my school. It's unethical. But at the same time, it's hot. I want to be that teacher!

ReputationRep:
    If he's not teaching her, frankly they're strangers and because she's over 18, she's an adult. I dont see what's wrong tbh. Slightly weird but not exactly wrong. Ideally she should have been out of education (if she wasn't.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The headline on the BBC news story site is "Educating Yorkshire teacher Neil Giffin had sex with ex-pupils" and the leading line is "A teacher who starred in Educating Yorkshire has been barred from teaching after having sex with two former pupils." So they have written the story making it seem that was why he has been banned from teaching.

A few Googlings later and we get to a link to the actual ruling which is here.

He was banned for:
    - using aliases to track down girls and communicate with girls on FaceBook;
    - he had "communicated inappropriately" messages of a sexual nature with a vulnerable student at his school;
    - sent a number of messages of a sexual nature to a number of other girls in the school;
    - he "failed to maintain appropriate boundaries" by making FaceBook connections with girls at the school including the use of aliases;
    - being dishonest (using aliases);
    - he did the above with the intention of bonking the students.

In the conclusions it has "The pattern of behaviour referred to above leads to concerns that there may be a continuing risk, and indicates a deep - seated attitude potentially leading to further harmful behaviour".

So, was he barred for bonking two former pupils ... or was it for grooming current pupils?

Is the BBC news story misleading?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Simes)
    The headline on the BBC news story site is "Educating Yorkshire teacher Neil Giffin had sex with ex-pupils" and the leading line is "A teacher who starred in Educating Yorkshire has been barred from teaching after having sex with two former pupils." So they have written the story making it seem that was why he has been banned from teaching.

He was banned for:
    - he had "communicated inappropriately" messages of a sexual nature with a vulnerable student at his school;
    - sent a number of messages of a sexual nature to a number of other girls in the school;
    - he "failed to maintain appropriate boundaries" by making FaceBook connections with girls at the school including the use of aliases;

In the conclusions it has "The pattern of behaviour referred to above leads to concerns that there may be a continuing risk, and indicates a deep - seated attitude potentially leading to further harmful behaviour".

So, was he barred for bonking two former pupils ... or was it for grooming current pupils?

Thanks for the info.

I knew that there was something more to the story.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Simes)

He was banned for:

I don't think the BBC news story is misleading, it just doesn't lay the conclusions out on the table for you. I read through the article before reading your posts and had come to the same conclusions as you listed; i.e. using pseudonyms to contact ex-pupils, using inappropriate sexual language towards them etc. He was even sending messages on apps like WhatsApp, saying how 'he was jealous of her because she looked good in tights and that other girls in her class "looked sexy" in tights.'

His conduct was exceptionally unprofessional and I believe it was definitely right for him to be barred from teaching. He was essentially preying on his female pupils, waiting until just after they finished school to begin messaging them inappropriately. He was predatory.

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates managed to have sex with a very fit teacher after his 6th form leaving drinks, would she have been banned? I doubt it. The only remark I have is...

Name:  56905883.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  82.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    I once slept with a teacher (not at my school) who later told me that he's hit on and got with his ex-students before (when they were 18). It was only a ONS anyway, so I wasn't exactly picky over his morals, but I definitely felt very uncomfortable when he told me that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    One of my mates managed to have sex with a very fit teacher after his 6th form leaving drinks, would she have been banned? I doubt it. The only remark I have is...

Haha yeah there's an English teacher at our college who's hot af. I'm thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-30921051

A teacher from 'Educating Yorkshire' has been banned from teaching because he slept with two former pupils, both of whom had already left school, one of them was over 18.

I don't really see how this can be classed as any kind of offence, I thought this was commonplace. Legally he hasn't done anything wrong.

Thoughts?
    It's an offence because he's legally not allowed to and would've known he was breaking the law.

It was passed to stop teachers grooming vunerable kids.
    In this case he started on 17 & 18 year olds. It could've been 15 & 16 year olds.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.