The Student Room Group

GCSE English Spoken Language CA

Hi all,

I have a controlled assessment next week on analysing spoken language. Specifically, we need to answer the following question: "How to primary school teachers adapt their language to the needs of their pupils?"
We have been given a transcript and a video to watch, and I've made some basic notes but our teacher hasn't given us much guidance as to how to structure it and what we should include etc.

A few points I've made (I understand that these need to be expanded on) included things such as:

She tends to use monosyllabic words so the pupils will find it easier to communicate with and understand her.

She often uses positive reinforcement which helps her build a good relationship with the students so they will feel happy, encouraged, trust her, and be more likely to listen and contribute more in the future.

She puts emphasis on certain words in order to stress the most important words in a question (such as in "Can you read this word?" read is stressed) so the students will be more likely to understand what the question is asking and so will find it easier to approach and answer.

I would really like to get marks in the Band 5 area, which requires the following:
1. Perceptive analysis and evaluation of aspects of how they and others use and adapt spoken language for specific purposes
2. Sustained and sophisticated interpretations of key features found in spoken language data
3. Sophisticated analysis and evaluation of key issues arising from public attitudes to spoken language varieties

The one part I'm really not sure on is "key issues arising from public attitudes" - I don't really get what it's asking. I'm thinking it means that if people used the same language they used in their occupation/field when talking to others not in the same field, there would be problems. Like for example you wouldn't really want someone to speak really slowly and loudly to you. Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

As well as this, I was told I needed to mention things such as paralinguistic features, semantic field, pragmatic feature, tone, intonation, etc. but I'm not sure how I can interlink all these features and how not to be too wordy whilst doing so as I have a tendency to do so.

If anyone's done something similar before I'd really appreciate their advice and input.

Thanks so much in advance. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending