Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I submitted my UCAS application for undergraduate mechanical engineering. I applied to manchester, sheffield, imperial, southampton and Loughborough. I submitted my application on the 14th of Jan and on the 20th of Jan (at about 8pm in UK) I recieved a conditional offer from manchester (conditions of AAA including maths and physics). I honestly was and still am very surprised by how quickly I got an offer. Is this a positive sign that I am a competent candidate? Does it suggest that I will likely have positive responses from the other unis also? Or is it just that manchester is not very competitive and just quick in dealing with applications?
    Someone, please help me understand my situation.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how the uni do their applications. It could be they do it as they come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Manchester are especially quick at dealing with applications. Also, now the equal consideration deadline has passed, unis are, in general, more likely to be able to respond to offers quickly. Manchester is a popular university, so I wouldn't say it's not very competitive, but I would think that Imperial is a more competitive university for engineering courses.

It's likely that you will get some other offers, but getting offers does also depend on who else has applied to each institution this year, so it's hard to make predictions, especially as you haven't given much detail about yourself in your post.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Most unis will just give offers automatically to anyone whose predicted grades are the same as the standard offer and if you're 1 or 2 grades below they'll review it depending on how many offers they've given out and maybe your personal statement but probably not. So manchester's probably just got a quick responding admissions team. Imperial will probably respond quite soon if you meet the requirements as they have a meaningful interview process but you may be disadvantaged by submitting your application so late as many applicants will have sent in their UCAS around the Oxbridge deadline. The rest will vary as while they have interviews, they're informal ones so there's not as much of a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Most unis will just give offers automatically to anyone whose predicted grades are the same as the standard offer and if you're 1 or 2 grades below they'll review it depending on how many offers they've given out and maybe your personal statement but probably not. So manchester's probably just got a quick responding admissions team. Imperial will probably respond quite soon if you meet the requirements as they have a meaningful interview process but you may be disadvantaged by submitting your application so late as many applicants will have sent in their UCAS around the Oxbridge deadline. The rest will vary as while they have interviews, they're informal ones so there's not as much of a hurry.
    As the poster sent his application before the equal consideration deadline, he will not be at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taimoor821)
    Hi, I submitted my UCAS application for undergraduate mechanical engineering. I applied to manchester, sheffield, imperial, southampton and Loughborough. I submitted my application on the 14th of Jan and on the 20th of Jan (at about 8pm in UK) I recieved a conditional offer from manchester (conditions of AAA including maths and physics). I honestly was and still am very surprised by how quickly I got an offer. Is this a positive sign that I am a competent candidate? Does it suggest that I will likely have positive responses from the other unis also? Or is it just that manchester is not very competitive and just quick in dealing with applications?
    Someone, please help me understand my situation.
    It means as long as (sometimes even if you don't) make the grade you have place as long as you firm or put it as insurance if you don't all the other's you've put are very good uni as is Manchester.

I'll just advise you against one pit fall when you come to decide where you go don't just go to the highest ranked uni you get an offer for you need to feel safe and happy where you are. I know this seems like a trivial point but it is as important if not more important than the course you study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    It means as long as (sometimes even if you don't) make the grade you have place as long as you firm or put it as insurance if you don't all the other's you've put are very good uni as is Manchester.

I'll just advise you against one pit fall when you come to decide where you go don't just go to the highest ranked uni you get an offer for you need to feel safe and happy where you are. I know this seems like a trivial point but it is as important if not more important than the course you study.
    Yeah, I have realized that. Imperial has been my dream uni which u wanted to go to before I even started A levels but I am very doubtful about it even IF I get an offer from it. For international students it costs 26k an year where as all the other unis are under 20k. Finance is not an issue for my family but I personally am somewhat reluctant especially considering it is in the heart of central london and everything is bond to be more expensive. Also, I have applied to 4 unis in the US. If I get an offer from anyone of them I will completely forget about uk. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taimoor821)
    Yeah, I have realized that. Imperial has been my dream uni which u wanted to go to before I even started A levels but I am very doubtful about it even IF I get an offer from it. For international students it costs 26k an year where as all the other unis are under 20k. Finance is not an issue for my family but I personally am somewhat reluctant especially considering it is in the heart of central london and everything is bond to be more expensive. Also, I have applied to 4 unis in the US. If I get an offer from anyone of them I will completely forget about uk. Lol
    If imperial is your dream it would be stupid no to go there if you get an offer you only go to uni once (unless you d a post grad course) follow your dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    If imperial is your dream it would be stupid no to go there if you get an offer you only go to uni once (unless you d a post grad course) follow your dream.
    I guess that I wont rule out imperial if I get the offer. If not, then I will most likely want to do my post graduate from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.