Turn on thread page Beta

"The depth and passion of its earnest glance" - Robert Browning watch

ReputationRep:
    So in my last duchess by Robert Browning, this quote is used but i don't get the context of what it's meant. I thought that what the Duke was saying was that their was passion in the duchesses eyes but not for him.

Full paragraph thing: (thank you in advance)

Frà Pandolf" by design, for never read
    Strangers like you that pictured countenance,
    The depth and passion of its earnest glance,
    But to myself they turned (since none puts by
    The curtain I have drawn for you, but I)
    And seemed as they would ask me, if they durst,
    How such a glance came there; so, not the first
    Are you to turn and ask thus.

ReputationRep:
    The Count's Emmisary has been taken up to the Duke's portrait gallery to see the portrait of the late Duchess painted by Frà Pandolf.
    Although not spoken within the poem, the Emmisary has asked the Duke why the Duchess is looking as she does - in the portrait.

The image of the Duchess is so extraordinary that - as the Duke comments - the Emmisary is not the first to comment on the Duchess' expression.

It appears that this portrait has captured the full passion of the Duchess - just as she was when she was alive. Ironically it is this same passion that led to her death. Ironically later in the poem the Duke informs the Emmisary that he considers this portrait a wonder now. The irony is that this same passion is what led to the Duchess being killed.

As a picture the Duke treasures this image of the Duchess. As a real live person it irritated so much that he ordered her execution.

He treasures this portrait that he has it curtained off. No one is allowed to see it unless he gives permission.

Hope that helps.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.