The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence 2015 Applicants.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Good luck! When was your LAE assessment day?

A few weeks back, but I don't think I'll go it's just too far away from me in a shady area :P

Are you local to east london- how long would it take you to get to LAE by public transport?
Original post by TheTruthTeller
A few weeks back, but I don't think I'll go it's just too far away from me in a shady area :P

Are you local to east london- how long would it take you to get to LAE by public transport?

Pretty local but further towards Central of the city, about half an hour I'd guess.
Reply 42
Pretty local but further towards Central of the city, about half an hour I'd guess.

Hey guys! Guess I'm kinda late. Mine was on 24th went well! My predicted grades are 3 A* 6 A 1 B but I probably won't end up at LAE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irfan_blue
Hey guys! Guess I'm kinda late. Mine was on 24th went well! My predicted grades are 3 A* 6 A 1 B but I probably won't end up at LAE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think that? :biggrin:
Reply 44
Why do you think that? :biggrin:

It's a free school it functions differently most teachers aren't even qualified

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a free school it functions differently most teachers aren't even qualified

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm, have you been to an open day? Most of the teachers are very qualified and they hire only the best, in their words.
Reply 46
Erm, have you been to an open day? Most of the teachers are very qualified and they hire only the best, in their words.

I'm a student there and let me tell you some of the teachers there are atrocious- fresh out of university and cannot teach. Go to an established school.
Original post by Noura*
I'm a student there and let me tell you some of the teachers there are atrocious- fresh out of university and cannot teach. Go to an established school.

Can you expand on that? :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Noura*

Yup can you please expand too.?
Reply 49
Hello guys, I am pleased to see the establishment of this thread. I also made one last year regarding applications to LAE.

I am a current student at LAE, in year 12. I study Maths Physics Chemistry and Geography. What you hear about LAE is very subjective and the opinions matter from person to person.

After studying here for nearly 6 months now, I have come to a conclusion. There are two types of people; 1) people who are dedicated and 2) those who aren't.

1) These people go for every opportunity which is thrown at them. They are motivated and dedicate in what they do and have high aspirations.

2) These people say they dislike LAE and go around spreading negativity. Also they are too lazy to go for any opportunities and then blame it on LAE for their failure or not achieving their potential.

I am pleased to say I am the first kind. I have come from Valentines High School (Gants Hill) and LAE was my first choice. Studying at VHS I barely did anything but study. Achieving 10 As which is not that bad, I guess.

Coming to LAE has totally changed me and I feel like a new person. I take part in everything I can get my hand around. I will list you a few to give you a glimpse of what you can get at LAE.

Electrochemistry - at a private school, called Highgate school. Involves working with Prof. Compton's group from Oxford. Will be visiting Oxford to present our findings in July

CCF - Combine Cadet Force, also at a private school called Forest school. Involves army drills, weapons handling etc at the end I will get a qualification

Many work exp opportunities - taking part in the Arcadia event which I met Simon Cowell through. Also Getting an internhip for Investment Banking etc

Teachers are really good too. Mostly from Oxford or Cambridge so you get the best people in the subject you do.

These are only some things. We all have high aspirations but it just depends on how hard you work. I aspire to study Accounting and Finance at LSE and get into investment banking.

I would like to welcome any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Altab
Hello guys, I am pleased to see the establishment of this thread. I also made one last year regarding applications to LAE.

I am a current student at LAE, in year 12. I study Maths Physics Chemistry and Geography. What you hear about LAE is very subjective and the opinions matter from person to person.

After studying here for nearly 6 months now, I have come to a conclusion. There are two types of people; 1) people who are dedicated and 2) those who aren't.

1) These people go for every opportunity which is thrown at them. They are motivated and dedicate in what they do and have high aspirations.

2) These people say they dislike LAE and go around spreading negativity. Also they are too lazy to go for any opportunities and then blame it on LAE for their failure or not achieving their potential.

I am pleased to say I am the first kind. I have come from Valentines High School (Gants Hill) and LAE was my first choice. Studying at VHS I barely did anything but study. Achieving 10 As which is not that bad, I guess.

Coming to LAE has totally changed me and I feel like a new person. I take part in everything I can get my hand around. I will list you a few to give you a glimpse of what you can get at LAE.

Electrochemistry - at a private school, called Highgate school. Involves working with Prof. Compton's group from Oxford. Will be visiting Oxford to present our findings in July

CCF - Combine Cadet Force, also at a private school called Forest school. Involves army drills, weapons handling etc at the end I will get a qualification

Many work exp opportunities - taking part in the Arcadia event which I met Simon Cowell through. Also Getting an internhip for Investment Banking etc

Teachers are really good too. Mostly from Oxford or Cambridge so you get the best people in the subject you do.

These are only some things. We all have high aspirations but it just depends on how hard you work. I aspire to study Accounting and Finance at LSE and get into investment banking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

Teachers from Oxford or Cambridge yet they are unqualified? I heard for the sciences they leave notes on your table and you have to memorise!?
Reply 51
Original post by Altab

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's really good that you're taking full advantage of the opportunities available but let's be real, these opportunities won't get anyone their grades and at the end of the day, the education is the most important thing. I'm at LAE for about a year and a half now and it's slowly going down hill, most of their best teachers left last year to teach in private schools and I don't think that's LAE's fault, I believe the free school model is just not a sustainable one. How can a headteacher and his deputy decide to leave in less than 2 years of the opening of the school?? Does that seem normal to you? I saw what the school was like last year and it was good, but this year they've taken on teachers nowhere near as good. It doesn't matter if a teacher went to Oxbridge, a Labour MP rightfully said the other day that it's one thing for a teacher to be an expert in their field, and it's another thing to be able to know how to teach.
LAE has helped me loads with my UCAS application and has given me other great opportunities too, but at the end of the day would I recommend it to the next lot of yr 12's? Absolutely not.

And btw, it's not very nice to say people who criticise LAE are lazy and undedicated- not bragging but I did get decent results at AS.
Reply 52
Thanks.

Teachers from Oxford or Cambridge yet they are unqualified? I heard for the sciences they leave notes on your table and you have to memorise!?

Looool I know who that is- yep it's true.
Reply 53
Has anyone who's applied got a letter yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone who's applied got a letter yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, have you?
Reply 55
Nope, have you?

Nope got the email still waiting :/
Nope got the email still waiting :/

Well they said it'd be a couple of weeks on the assessment day, might be even further delayed cos there's another assessment day in late March for late applicants. :I
Reply 57
Well they said it'd be a couple of weeks on the assessment day, might be even further delayed cos there's another assessment day in late March for late applicants. :I

Nope they said they're getting back to us this week through the post definitely.
Nope they said they're getting back to us this week through the post definitely.

They mentioned no specific date, they said a couple of weeks. Furthermore, if there is another assessment day I doubt it would be wise to give out offers when there have been so many applications.
Reply 59
They mentioned no specific date, they said a couple of weeks. Furthermore, if there is another assessment day I doubt it would be wise to give out offers when there have been so many applications.

Meh I'll show you picture if you want PM me your instagram or Facebook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending