Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm in Year 11, and these are my predicted grades in my report which I received today:

Mathematics :A* (achieved already)
    English Language: A
    English Literature: A
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    History: A
    Music: A
    French:B
    Religious Studies:B (already achieved)
    CiDA: B

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

If my A-levels are good enough, what are the chances I could possibly go to oxbridge with these grades? Would it be worth considering if I got good A-levels. I currently go to a comprehensive school where there is a 43% 5A* - C inc. English and Maths. Would Oxbridge look in favour of me even though I have 3 B's and only 4 A*s at GCSE (bearing in mind most people don't leave with any. 3 people left my school with at least 1 A* last year).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RG110man)
    Okay, so I'm in Year 11, and these are my predicted grades in my report which I received today:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

If my A-levels are good enough, what are the chances I could possibly go to oxbridge with these grades? Would it be worth considering if I got good A-levels. I currently go to a comprehensive school where there is a 43% 5A* - C inc. English and Maths. Would Oxbridge look in favour of me even though I have 3 B's and only 4 A*s at GCSE (bearing in mind most people don't leave with any. 3 people left my school with at least 1 A* last year).

It's definitely possible. Other aspects of the application like AS results, aptitude tests and interviews are more important. Those GCSEs will be under average but plenty of people get in with those kinds of GCSEs and lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    It's definitely possible. Other aspects of the application like AS results, aptitude tests and interviews are more important. Those GCSEs will be under average but plenty of people get in with those kinds of GCSEs and lower.
    Thank you for your feedback. I presume Oxbridge look at contextual data to compare one student with the rest of the cohort who left their school the year they did?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thank you for your feedback. I presume Oxbridge look at contextual data to compare one student with the rest of the cohort who left their school the year they did?
    Yes, they do

ReputationRep:
    GO FOR IT! Keep up the good work in A-Levels and of course it's a possibility. Almost a likelihood actually.

ReputationRep:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

Hey there I got exactly the same GCSE grades as you, almost down to the subject and have an offer from Cambridge. I was predicted lower grades than I got, just as many people are predicted higher grades than they get. You still have time to improve your grades, if you want to
    Your chances depend a lot more on the grades you get at AS, interviews etc. so, although more important for Oxford, I wouldn't worry too much if you ended up with those grades! Something that might be beneficial would be doing something like a Nuffield Research Placement and reading a bit around your subject

Is there anything in particular you want me to comment on?
    Best of luck btw

ReputationRep:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

I received an offer from Cambridge and my GCSEs were 2 A*s, 4 A's, 6 B's and 1 C, so there's definitely a good chance. My AS results were 3 A's and 2 B's, so it's not solely based on grades.

ReputationRep:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

Those grades are below average but going to a poor performing state school will help you but the better your grades the better your chance of getting in so don't relax yet. I got 3A* 7A and a B in economics and I got an offer for economics at Cambridge so I reckon that as long as your GCSEs are decent you should be ok. The important exams are your ASs where you really need to get at least90+% in your top three and ideally mid 90s. Saying that have an outside interest in the subject and LOTS of background reading also help 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look it up on the Cambridge website?

Make sure they do the course that you want to do first. When I was younger, I had my heart set on going to Cambridge. Buuuuut they don't do the course that I want to do. So check that first.

ReputationRep:
    What course?

I got in with worse GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

Don't see why some people feel so insecure with their GCSEs when they're a fantastic set of grades. Of course you stand a chance of Oxbridge. You need to get good AS grades to compete like AAAA. Your AS results, your interview performance and your PS + reference is a far more important determining factor than your GCSEs so take them with a pinch of salt!!

ReputationRep:
    With those grades, Cambridge is more likely than Oxford though, as Oxford generally put more weight on GCSEs and Cambridge on AS UMS. But you stand a good shot at both with good AS grades anyway. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    Don't see why some people feel so insecure with their GCSEs when they're a fantastic set of grades. Of course you stand a chance of Oxbridge. You need to get good AS grades to compete like AAAA. Your AS results, your interview performance and your PS + reference is a far more important determining factor than your GCSEs so take them with a pinch of salt!!
    Thanks. If you had to list all of the factors oxbridge take into account (PS, Interview, AS, A2 predicted) Which are most important and which are least important. For example, do oxbridge put a heavier weighting on certain aspects of the application than others, or are all of the different aspects equally weighted?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Depends which subject you'd be applying for. Medicine at Oxford, for example, is out of the window :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Depends which subject you'd be applying for. Medicine at Oxford, for example, is out of the window :yes:
    Probably computer science, or mathematics..

ReputationRep:

4A*'s 4A's and 3B's

It is a possibility. However, Oxbridge doesn't really care about GCSEs. It really depends on how well you do in A Levels, which are much more difficult. I know a friend of mine who has 17 A*, but got ABCD (lol ikr!) in his AS. So I don't think you can really predetermine someone in GCSE
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Probably computer science, or mathematics..
    For Maths, the key thing will be STEP for Cambridge, and the MAT for Oxford, as well as having A* grade A2 predictions in the more important subjects. Comp Sci, I'm not sure if there's an admissions test. I will quote someone more knowledgeable to help you with that

(Original post by fluteflute)
    :hi:
    Potential Oxbridge Comp Sci applicant for you, my dear! :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. If you had to list all of the factors oxbridge take into account (PS, Interview, AS, A2 predicted) Which are most important and which are least important. For example, do oxbridge put a heavier weighting on certain aspects of the application than others, or are all of the different aspects equally weighted?
    I'm not sure but one thing I can tell you is that GCSE grades probably contribute least to your application. Your school and college performance is also taken into account. For example, Lets say you had 4A*s and 6As for GCSE. That's really good but if you came from a school that has GCSE average of 4A*s and 6As then you wouldn't really stand out!!! Someone else can have 2A*s, 5As and 4Bs for GCSE which isn't outstanding but if that was by far the best GCSE from that secondary school then they can stand out!! Here is how I would list it;
    1) A2 Prediction + AS grades
    2) Personal Statement + Reference
    3) Interview/applicant test Performance
    4) School and College performance
    5) Your GCSE grades

ReputationRep:
    If you're a compsci I can help there. Some Cambridge colleges need STEP, and they all need STEP for compsci with maths. Oxford is the MAT. Also, Churchill (cambridge) made me do a maths aptitude test and you might have to do the TSA at other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    If you're a compsci I can help there. Some Cambridge colleges need STEP, and they all need STEP for compsci with maths. Oxford is the MAT. Also, Churchill (cambridge) made me do a maths aptitude test and you might have to do the TSA at other colleges.
    Thanks. What grades would I be expected to get in STEP, and which papers would they make me do?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.