Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I started EDEXCEL A Level Maths last September I had the choice of one of the first modules among Mechanics, Statistics and Decision.

I'm currently doing D1 and find some parts of it fun and others extremely dull (networks). I recently did a mock in D1 and only achieved a mere C.

I wish to study Computer Science at either Cambridge or Bristol and I need A/A*s in everything including Maths.

I find Decision incredibly easy to slip up in (due to human errors, not mathematical errors) and too long winded for the time limit of the exam. The scheme of it just doesn't agree with me and I'm not keen on Statistics either.

I don't want to do D2 because it'll be 'easier', Statistics is just as dull and I'm wondering if doing M1 for A2 would be a good choice. I'm also having fears/doubts about decision and I just generally find it more intimidating in the event I'll make a costly slip.

ReputationRep:
    Decision is most relevant for your uni course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwaine)
    When I started EDEXCEL A Level Maths last September I had the choice of one of the first modules among Mechanics, Statistics and Decision.

I'm currently doing D1 and find some parts of it fun and others extremely dull (networks). I recently did a mock in D1 and only achieved a mere C.

I wish to study Computer Science at either Cambridge or Bristol and I need A/A*s in everything including Maths.

I find Decision incredibly easy to slip up in (due to human errors, not mathematical errors) and too long winded for the time limit of the exam. The scheme of it just doesn't agree with me and I'm not keen on Statistics either.

I don't want to do D2 because it'll be 'easier', Statistics is just as dull and I'm wondering if doing M1 for A2 would be a good choice. I'm also having fears/doubts about decision and I just generally find it more intimidating in the event I'll make a costly slip.
    S2 is definitely much more interesting than S1! But I agree S1 is too damn dull.
    Mechanics is an okay module, students either do well in it or fail it spectacularly (Not as bad as decision though).
    Same goes to Decision in my class people pretty much either got As or Us which was quite funny

Since you want to do computer science then decision mathematics is the way to go as the Decision modules truly make you think like a computer.. honestly.
    With that said, D1-D2 is deemed to be the biggest jump from any A-level maths modules, definitely not a module you'd want to self teach yourself, so little resources for it, as well as complexity and importance of understanding of what's being done.

I'd say D2 if you have a good teacher, M1 should easily be able to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise doing M1. It's quite simplistic but not difficult to slip up in at all (I hate it when you can make silly mistakes). Plus for computer science they might like M1 for it's link to physics and engineering. Also you have a broader range of application in maths opposing to being restricted to one element. People say that you should do the 1s before you start the 2s as the 2s are considerably harder.
    Good luck☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    S2 is definitely much more interesting than S1! But I agree S1 is too damn dull.
    Mechanics is an okay module, students either do well in it or fail it spectacularly (Not as bad as decision though).
    Same goes to Decision in my class people pretty much either got As or Us which was quite funny

Since you want to do computer science then decision mathematics is the way to go as the Decision modules truly make you think like a computer.. honestly.
    With that said, D1-D2 is deemed to be the biggest jump from any A-level maths modules, definitely not a module you'd want to self teach yourself, so little resources for it, as well as complexity and importance of understanding of what's being done.

I'd say D2 if you have a good teacher, M1 should easily be able to do as well.
    Well I have a pretty vague/strange teacher in my Decision class. When someone dares him to daft things like jumping over/on a chair he takes it on. Mechanics and Statistics has all the great really nice maths teachers but I think if I do D2 I'll have him for another year. He also has a really geeky voice as though he's a football commentator or something and often doesn't explain things in great detail lol

I've heard S2 is interesting and a lot better than S1 but I don't know if I would be able to do that and I guess it wouldn't make sense to skip out S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwaine)
    Well I have a pretty vague/strange teacher in my Decision class. When someone dares him to daft things like jumping over/on a chair he takes it on. Mechanics and Statistics has all the great really nice maths teachers but I think if I do D2 I'll have him for another year. He also has a really geeky voice as though he's a football commentator or something and often doesn't explain things in great detail lol

I've heard S2 is interesting and a lot better than S1 but I don't know if I would be able to do that and I guess it wouldn't make sense to skip out S1.
    That's what I did, I did S2 instead of S1, really hated S1 so I just did S2. S1 is just going over your basic boring gcse things hate it.........
    S2 you don't need S1 to do and it's so much more mathematical than S1, thousand times more interesting hooonestly!

That's an incredibly weird teacher... I really don't like teachers like that, but D2 is quite hard and would help you with computer science.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.