Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will anyone be watching Wolf Hall tonight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really can't wait, I really enjoyed the book and Mark Rylance is an amazing actor. Check this out, particularly the bit at 1:17. Incredible (and the pause bit hahaha)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the book but as Wolf Hall relates to what I'm studying in History I definitely want to tune in

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm waiting for it now. Though I haven't read the book - CJ Sansom's Shardlake series will always be how I end up imagining that era. Hopefully I'm not too biased against this already

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I seriously cannot wait as I loved the book and am a huge Tudor history lover. I really hope that it lives up to all the hype though.

ReputationRep:
    Very good indeed, splendid. Mark Rylance's performance is subtle and interesting. Damien Lewis is superb.

And they've filmed using only natural light; candelight, sunlight, moonlight. Even the night scenes used no artificial illumination whatsoever (they're using some very advanced cameras)

On an unrelated note... phwoar, Thomas Brodie-Sangster makes a very dashing Rafe. :drool: :sexface:

Yes, I noticed the natural light thing, that was really effective. It gave a better impression of how things would have been darker without artificial lighting. And I loved the period costumes... I wish guys could still wear hats like that XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actaeon)
    Yes, I noticed the natural light thing, that was really effective. It gave a better impression of how things would have been darker without artificial lighting. And I loved the period costumes... I wish guys could still wear hats like that XD
    Definitely. The only other thing I can think that has been filmed in that way was Barry Lyndon, the Stanley Kubrick film made in 1975 (apparently he used cameras from a NASA spy satellite programme or something like that). Of course, that wasn't a digital camera in the way the Alexa camera is

And the clothing also looked more naturally period-ish. Like Cromwell's gear; it looked a little rough around the edges.

I couldn't go into as much analysis on the filming techniques, but it was definitely a smooth production. And I'll be interested to see how Cromwell develops, given we only really got hints of his religious stance there.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it last night - I thought it was really good!
    I love Mark Rylance anyway, so I will watch anything with him in. I am looking forward to seeing more Damien Lewis as the series progresses.
    I haven't read the book, but I think I will try and seek it out now.

ReputationRep:
    i am boycotting that silly woman since she insulted Lady Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    Best TV series since Downton Abbey if the first episode is anything to go by. I love Jonathan Pryce, (Wolsey), and Bernard Hill, (Norfolk). I like the fact that most of it is shot in my Bristol and Gloucestershire and the new take on Cromwell as a good man after the slurs of Robert Bolt et al. I didn't know of Mark Rylance before but his kind and softly spoken demeanour is a perfect antidote to the hollering and machiavellian Leo Mckern in Bolt's film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am boycotting that silly woman since she insulted Lady Thatcher.
    You're missing out! Surely one can disagree with someone's opinions and still appreciate their art? I don't agree with Wagner's opinions of Jews but his music is just as sublime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    You're missing out! Surely one can disagree with someone's opinions and still appreciate their art? I don't agree with Wagner's opinions of Jews but his music is just as sublime.
    i adore Wagner... his thrilling extreme chromaticism and rapidly shifting tonal centres appeal very much. That silly clown-faced authoress is a different kettle of sardines.

ReputationRep:
    i adore Wagner... his thrilling extreme chromaticism and rapidly shifting tonal centres appeal very much. That silly clown-faced authoress is a different kettle of sardines.
    That is cruel of your bear...she suffered an extremely painful for illness which transformed her appearance as a result of poor treatment. I think you are very wrong to dismiss her so. She has won one of the most prestigious literary awards twice, breaking a record, and for good reason. She is an excellent author and historian who is an asset to this country's literary heritage. You should read her before judging her.

ReputationRep:
    That is cruel of your bear...she suffered an extremely painful for illness which transformed her appearance as a result of poor treatment. I think you are very wrong to dismiss her so. She has won one of the most prestigious literary awards twice, breaking a record, and for good reason. She is an excellent author and historian who is an asset to this country's literary heritage. You should read her before judging her.
    i read a few chapters of one of her books... it did not grip me.

ReputationRep:
    i read a few chapters of one of her books... it did not grip me.
    You are not being fair:

ReputationRep:
    I was in a pretty heated debate recently with my brother who proposed that monarchal history (particularly of the Tudor period) is not 'real' history because the actions, psychological mindsets, physical attributes etc. of a few important historical figures does not relate to the 'wider spectrum' that real social and political events did for history. Does that make any sense or am I jabbering again? Because I'd be interested to know what other people think about that.

ReputationRep:
    You are not being fair:

the books of Mr Sansom about the Tudor Age are far more gripping and realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    I was in a pretty heated debate recently with my brother who proposed that monarchal history (particularly of the Tudor period) is not 'real' history because the actions, psychological mindsets, physical attributes etc. of a few important historical figures does not relate to the 'wider spectrum' that real social and political events did for history. Does that make any sense or am I jabbering again? Because I'd be interested to know what other people think about that.
    It's a well known dictat originating from the Annales school/Braudel. It's not that it isn't 'real' history though, it's that it's insignificant and superficial history
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Genuinely didn't enjoy the book at all, in fact I'm confused by how much people DO love it, I thought it was pretty dire and badly written. It was all over the place to me, I had no idea who half the characters were 90% of the time. People died and I had to go backwards through the book to try and figure out who on earth they were from when they were first introduced, because she hardly ever called them by identifying names. I only finished it because several people had recommended it to me and I kept thinking it was going to turn the corner and become some kind of masterpiece.

Still! Going to watch the first episode of this later on catch-up as I rather like Damian Lewis/the Tudor age in general.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.