Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

An Individual with a lack of political knowledge, help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the first 18 years of my life I've been pretty oblivious to politics, something most people my age would have in common I'd imagine. Now I have a basic understanding of UK politics, i.e. roles of individuals, parties and what their general stance is (right/left wing) but I feel withe the general election coming up I really should know more before I vote otherwise it is pointless.
    So can anyone just give me a overview of the parties involved and policies that will affect an 18 year old Welsh male currently studying at a Russel group university, coming from a working/middle class background.

Sorry for my ignorance.

edit; Don't know if it helps, but for the record I believe that I am more a believer in a survival of the fittest and if you're prepared to work hard you reep(?) the rewards.

ReputationRep:
    This quiz is rather useful, as it helps to find which party you most agree with:

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz#more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    This quiz is rather useful, as it helps to find which party you most agree with:

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz#more
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have always believed parties represented an ideology and sentiment

not individual policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenLynch9)
    For the first 18 years of my life I've been pretty oblivious to politics, something most people my age would have in common I'd imagine. Now I have a basic understanding of UK politics, i.e. roles of individuals, parties and what their general stance is (right/left wing) but I feel withe the general election coming up I really should know more before I vote otherwise it is pointless.
    So can anyone just give me a overview of the parties involved and policies that will affect an 18 year old Welsh male currently studying at a Russel group university, coming from a working/middle class background.

Sorry for my ignorance.

edit; Don't know if it helps, but for the record I believe that I am more a believer in a survival of the fittest and if you're prepared to work hard you reep(?) the rewards.
    Never apologise for that.

I generally tend to find that being a floating voter helps.
    Read the various political parties manifestos and see what appeals to you.

as a general rule you'll find yourself left of the political spectrum to begin with gradually moving to the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Never apologise for that.

I generally tend to find that being a floating voter helps.
    Read the various political parties manifestos and see what appeals to you.

as a general rule you'll find yourself left of the political spectrum to begin with gradually moving to the right.
    Ok, I'll have a look at those then. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Look no further. Vote Tory

ReputationRep:

Sorry for my ignorance.

What seat are you in? I'd start by looking at who actually has a chance of getting in where you'll be casting your vote and choose from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    What seat are you in? I'd start by looking at who actually has a chance of getting in where you'll be casting your vote and choose from there.
    Actually a good point. Go for the politician that best served your constituency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Actually a good point. Go for the politician that best served your constituency.
    Or would serve it the least badly in some constituencies

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll have a look at those then. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
    An absolute classic:

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

Plaid Cymru, and other smaller national parties will be available on the new 'Vote For Policies' survey which will come out in a couple of months time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    From the Blaenau Gwent region (Unfortunately!).

ReputationRep:
    Right, well there is a massive Labour majority there so it doesn't really matter who you vote for :P

ReputationRep:
    this at least relieves you of the need to get that crash-course political education to ensure that your vote counts. That's the safest Labour seat in the nation.

ReputationRep:

Sorry for my ignorance.

98% of voters have next to no understanding of politics. that's the beauty of democracy.
    mainly it is gut feeling + what your buddies & family tell you.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is: in the day and age where democracy could easily be enforced without representatives due to the widespread access to live information, communication, etc., why do people still perform the pointless voting game?

Answer: because people actually look down upon one another, consider everyone else inferior, and actually secretly aspire to be on the top of everyone else. No one likes democracy, and certainly no one would be up for it. Imagine if tomorrow civil servants were directly linked to a platform where everyone in the country could vote for policies. You wouldn't trust the average person would you? You want the illusion of a smart better person i.e. the politician to do stuff? You like the idea of getting ahead of others.

Goodie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.