Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Green Party's policies sound bonkers watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...r-Britain.html

Some highlights:

The flagship policy is an unconditional, non-withdrawable income of £71 a week for everyone living in Britain “as a right of citizenship”, regardless of wealth or whether they are seeking work.

The BBC will be forced to show educational programming during prime time, giving it “equal precedence” to entertainment shows and not “ghettoised at inconvenient times”.

Merely being a member of al-Qaeda, the IRA and other currently proscribed terrorist groups will no longer be a criminal offence under Green plans, and instead a Green Government should seek to “address desperate motivations that lie behind many atrocities labelled ‘terrorist’,” the policy book states.

Britain will leave NATO, end the special relationship with the US, and unilaterally abandon nuclear weapons. A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.

A Green Government will “progressively reduce” border controls, including an amnesty for illegal immigrants after five years. Access to benefits, the right to vote and tax obligations will apply to everyone living on British soil, regardless of passport. The policy book states: “We will work to create a world of global inter-responsibility in which the concept of a 'British national' is irrelevant and outdated.”

Views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Some highlights:

The flagship policy is an unconditional, non-withdrawable income of £71 a week for everyone living in Britain “as a right of citizenship”, regardless of wealth or whether they are seeking work.
    The citizen income is a good concept IMHO.

Far easier to administer than current the current array of benefits/state pensions, and workers will feel like they are getting something back. No disincentive to take up additional work. I think £71 is too low though, should be £130 or so.

What don't you like about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    The citizen income is a good concept IMHO.

Far easier to administer than current the current array of benefits/state pensions, and workers will feel like they are getting something back. No disincentive to take up additional work. I think £71 is too low though, should be £130 or so.

What don't you like about it?
    The 'regardless of wealth' bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    The 'regardless of wealth' bit.
    Yup.

The cost of means testing outweighs the value of means testing. It'd be taxable anyway and means there won't be any silly cliff edges.

ReputationRep:
    This article again :rolleyes:

The zero growth claim is a straight up lie, see this post for why . Many of the other claims are also madeup, many eggaggerated. It's a poorly written hatchet job.

ReputationRep:
    I think the welfare idea is a great idea. You cause inflation slightly but at the benefit of everyone. There for everyone has an equal footing. Would be better than printing money and giving it all to the banks with the ability to make interest profit on it.

Forcing the BBC so educate the nation is great. No longer will there be East Enders on but something which people can actually make use of like understanding a political parties manifesto.

With their Terrorist policy I think that is a bit too pacifist.

Britain should leave NATO. It is clear there is a turn of power between EAST & WEST and the last thing Britain needs is to be nuked. We don't want to look like a burnt piece of toast.

We need a army of Engineers. If became the first nation to make it a global priority for clean energy we could really show the world we are for humanity rather than death & destruction which has been our legacy for many years.

I think border controls only matter with countries with similar GDP. So if a 100,000 people from the US join us there will be capacity for 100,000 of our citizens to find work & opportunities else where in a similar 1st world nation.

ReputationRep:
    The Greens are delusional. We need an army; we need nuclear weapons. If the Greens were in power, Britain would immediately be wiped out by North Korea, Russia, Iraq or some other authoritarian state. Their policies are ludicrous and you are a fool if you agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    Some of their policies will only let foreigners/ethnic minorities exploit the UK even further. Not so good for UK's economy is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    Some of their policies will only let foreigners/ethnic minorities exploit the UK even further. Not so good for UK's economy is it.
    Yeah, should be.

Getting a better population pyramid so we don't turn into Japan would be handy.

ReputationRep:
    Their policies require more fundamental changes to occur. The Greens will have trouble getting any real changes done if they get any sort of power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10001)
    The Greens are delusional. We need an army; we need nuclear weapons. If the Greens were in power, Britain would immediately be wiped out by North Korea, Russia, Iraq or some other authoritarian state. Their policies are ludicrous and you are a fool if you agree with them.
    Bit of a trip for NK or Iraq to launch an attack. Russia is a bit too poor for it.

ReputationRep:
    Makes UKIP's 2010 manifesto look like a well thought-out masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    We had a 'president for a day' simulation game in GCSE Geography, where you had to make decisions to turn a developing nation into a world power.

It asked me if I wanted to spend money on an armed forces or on education. I chose education.

The country next door wiped us out.

ReputationRep:
    The greens have a utopian vision not suitable for the present world

Ukip has a dystopian vision not suitable for the present world.

ReputationRep:
    the citzens income is a tremendous idea, and historically has found its advocates across the political spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    You can't be serious...how is giving every citizen £284 every month regardless of any factor a good idea? Apply this to our total population and you have hundreds of billions of pounds being frittered away every year! What a fantastic waste of money. One day we will look back on all those millionaire pensioners receiving the winter fuel allowance and the long-term unemployed and fit to work being moved into lavish country mansions and think of how very fastidious our government was with spending.
    How does it compare to the current welfare bill and cost of welfare administration? DWP has 100,000 staff, before you consider councils and HMRC. Also it's tax able (unlike winter fuel allowance).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    the citzens income is a tremendous idea, and historically has found its advocates across the political spectrum.
    Care to name them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Care to name them?
    I suppose you're asking after right wing advocates.

Hayek is the most notable. It was Conservative cabinet minister Alan Duncan's policy hobby-horse throughout the 90s.

Edit: here's some more detail of conservative support for the idea: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...income/375600/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Hayek is the most notable. It was Conservative cabinet minister Alan Duncan's policy hobby-horse throughout the 90s.
    So not a broad level of support then?

I'm not a huge believer in just receiving money from the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    So not a broad level of support then?

I'm not a huge believer in just receiving money from the government.
    I've added a bit to the above.

The conservative case is that it massively simplifies the benefits system, reduces state intrusion (there's no 'qualifying' for it: no forms, no interviews), and for people now on benefits removes the financial disincentive to work (because you can't lose the citizen's income anyway).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.