The Student Room Group

Classics help please :) (The Aeneid)

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if you could help me with any quotes / points for this question as i am really struggling :redface:.

The question is "The Aeneid is nothing more thank Augustian propaganda " How far do you agree with this statement (60 marks)

Thankyou any help will be massively appreciated!!:colondollar:
Reply 1
Book 1

line 148- A simile is made just after Neptune settles the storms about how it only takes one strong and influential man to stop conflict. Virgil is referring to Augustus through the use of neptune.

Book 6

Anchises talking about future roman glory. This is focused on bugging up augustus. Virgil mentions Augustus will bring back the golden years and extend roman's empire beyond the stars.

Book 8
Vulcan's shield. Virgil seems to be trying too 'out do' greek tradition. evident in augustan rome as they strove to outshine ancient greek accomplishments.
His new armour represents Aeneas carrying the destiny of rome on his shoulders.
Virgil also emphasises paticularly the achievement of augustus from the humble beginnings of romulus by compressing the many centuries between the two into a couple of lines. This highness the impact.

Do you know what was on the A2 paper for the Aeneid last summer?(2014)
Reply 2
I just found this too

2. To what extent is the Aeneid a political poem? Is it propaganda?

The Aeneid’s main purpose is to create a myth of origins that consolidates Rome’s historical and cultural identity. This search for origins of a race or culture is a political endeavor, in that it seeks to justify the Roman Empire’s existence and to glorify the empire through the poem’s greatness. Yet the Aeneid is also an artistic endeavor, and therefore to dismiss the poem as mere propaganda is to ignore its obvious artistic merit.

In many of the passages referring explicitly to the emperor Augustus—in Anchises’s presentation of the future of Rome, for example—Virgil’s language suggests an honest and heartfelt appreciation of Augustus’s greatness. It is worth noting, however, that in addition to being the emperor, Augustus was also Virgil’s patron. It would thus have been impossible for Virgil to criticize him outright in his work. One can argue that Virgil may not have truly believed in Augustus’s greatness and that the impossibility of explicit criticism forced him to resort to subtle irony in order to air any grievances regarding Augustus’s policies or ideology.
Thankyou so very much!!! This means a lot :smile:
Original post by tippi97
I just found this too

2. To what extent is the Aeneid a political poem? Is it propaganda?

The Aeneid’s main purpose is to create a myth of origins that consolidates Rome’s historical and cultural identity. This search for origins of a race or culture is a political endeavor, in that it seeks to justify the Roman Empire’s existence and to glorify the empire through the poem’s greatness. Yet the Aeneid is also an artistic endeavor, and therefore to dismiss the poem as mere propaganda is to ignore its obvious artistic merit.

In many of the passages referring explicitly to the emperor Augustus—in Anchises’s presentation of the future of Rome, for example—Virgil’s language suggests an honest and heartfelt appreciation of Augustus’s greatness. It is worth noting, however, that in addition to being the emperor, Augustus was also Virgil’s patron. It would thus have been impossible for Virgil to criticize him outright in his work. One can argue that Virgil may not have truly believed in Augustus’s greatness and that the impossibility of explicit criticism forced him to resort to subtle irony in order to air any grievances regarding Augustus’s policies or ideology.

Thanks for this!!! So helpful!! That's so nice of you to take the time. Unfortunately I don't have a classics teacher so I've no idea what was on in June 14 as the paper is only released in May :frown: I really want to know what books were on for section A and B :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending