Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are you voting? watch

• View Poll Results: What issue is most important to you?
    Economy
    24.56%
    Immigration
    6.14%
    Defence
    1.75%
    EU
    5.26%
    NHS
    7.02%
    Education
    10.53%
    Housing
    1.75%
    Crime
    0.88%
    Inequality
    28.95%
    Enviroment
    7.89%
    Other
    5.26%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So every so often around an election you see a poll showing what issues are most important to people. So my question is, what is making you vote? Immigration, the economy, the EU, because you like your MP?

In Sept the most important issues were as follows:

I've included a poll of the most high priority issues for many voters, so i'd be interested to see what members of TSR have as their priority.

ReputationRep:
    personally, it's only half to do with the actual issues which i support. the other half is because i read an article in the guardian a while back, which said that politicians only support the issues of interest to those who vote for them. Since the younger generation isn't voting as much, everything is tailored towards pleasing the older generation who actually vote. The article highlighted that this is a real problem for the youth. By not voting, the politicians have no reason to support issues which we believe in and care about, which basically means that we're screwing up our own future.
    i want the politicians to listen to me, so i'm making sure that i vote at every opportunity and spread the word to everyone i know.

ReputationRep:
    A better deal for Scotland.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quady)
    A better deal for Scotland.
    Not that I want this to go on topic but what would that entail for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Not that I want this to go on topic but what would that entail for you?
    For me, I'd just need to vote SNP. As for what it'd achieve? No idea, but I can't see how having more SNP MP's would hurt the settlement Scotland would get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    For me, I'd just need to vote SNP. As for what it'd achieve? No idea, but I can't see how having more SNP MP's would hurt the settlement Scotland would get.
    So you can't actually say what voting SNP will achieve,and yet still somehow know that it will be better for Scotland? Yep, that definitely makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    So you can't actually say what voting SNP will achieve,and yet still somehow know that it will be better for Scotland? Yep, that definitely makes sense.
    Well it depends on the election outcome doesn't it?

But it makes a Labour win less likely and a supply & confidence arrangement with the SNP more likely.

I'm not naive enough to pretend I know how my vote will directly impact the next's Governments policy delivery.

Who do you intend to vote for, in which constituency and what will it achieve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well it depends on the election outcome doesn't it?

But it makes a Labour win less likely and a supply & confidence arrangement with the SNP more likely.

I'm not naive enough to pretend I know how my vote will directly impact the next's Governments policy delivery.

Who do you intend to vote for, in which constituency and what will it achieve?
    Not sure yet, I would be inclined to vote Conservative as they seem to be doing a decent job with the economy (todays news strengthens that feeling). I think thats the most important factor as pretty much everything else relies on having a strong economy i.e. you can't spend more on the NHS if the country doesn't have any money.

The problem is that it would feel like a bit of a wasted vote, as they have exactly zero chance of winning my constituency, Labour took over 50% of the vote last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    Not sure yet, I would be inclined to vote Conservative as they seem to be doing a decent job with the economy (todays news strengthens that feeling). I think thats the most important factor as pretty much everything else relies on having a strong economy i.e. you can't spend more on the NHS if the country doesn't have any money.

The problem is that it would feel like a bit of a wasted vote, as they have exactly zero chance of winning my constituency, Labour took over 50% of the vote last time.
    So you can't tell me what voting for them would achieve...? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you can't tell me what voting for them would achieve...? :P
    I could tell you what me voting for them would achieve which is nothing, as they still wouldn't win my seat. What I would hope to be achieved by getting them into power is a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    I could tell you what me voting for them would achieve which is nothing, as they still wouldn't win my seat. What I would hope to be achieved by getting them into power is a different matter.
    Well I wouldn't want the SNP in power, but then, that isn't an option no not really a worry.

ReputationRep:
    For a stronger and more competitive economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The economy is issue number 1 to me. I also like Tory policy on education and foreign policy.

I suppose another party could tempt me on housing and defense.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The economy is issue number 1 to me. I also like Tory policy on education and foreign policy.

I suppose another party could tempt me on housing and defense.
    What would you want to see on defense and housing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    What would you want to see on defense and housing?
    More, simply.

On defense i think we need a general expansion of all forces (or at the very least, no more cuts) with threats from the likes of Russia increasing.

On housing i don't like the fact that policies like Help To Buy are shafting the taxpayer via guarantees. We need to build more housing and if that requires the state then so be it (so long as the right to buy remains).

ReputationRep:
    Environment issues are pretty high up for me. But none of the main parties seem to take the environment seriously, they just pay lip service to it and pretend to care. Especially the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting poll.

I voted inequality, but this is a broad issue that also covers the economy, housing, potentially education and crime too. So votes may well be split between inequality and these, leading to lower scores for each.

Kind of like votes for the Tories and UKIP!

ReputationRep:
    Economy and Immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Economy, education and healthcare plus immigration and EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting for .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.