Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I am currently a year 12 A-Level student and since the mock examination results have been released and the year 13 UCAS application have been sent off all of a sudden the teachers at my sixth form have targeted us year 12's with the whole "what university is right for me?" question.

Ever since I visited Oxford Uni when I was about 8 I have always dreamed of going to Oxford, as a traditionalist I love the rich culture and history. Not to mention the fact it is one of the top uni's out there.

So my question goes out to anyone and everyone who has applied to or goes to Oxford.

My aim is to do either art or English Literature at university and in my mock exams I hit my target grades bagging 4 A's across all my subjects. What I am really asking is providing I continue getting high grades in my A-Levels do I stand a chance of getting into Oxford. What is the application process and how does it differ to applying to other universities?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you certainly stand a chance!

There's plenty of information available on the subject on the internet. Oxford's website is probably your best first bet, followed by TSR (of course). As it stands, the process is quite different to most other universities, but not excessively so:

1. You still apply via UCAS (your school will tell you about this), but the deadline is October 15th instead of January 15th.
    2. You will probably have to sit a test. For English Lang/Lit, you'll have to sit the English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT). You need to register for this test yourself through your sixth form, and the test will be done in school.
    3. If your application is taken to the next stage, you will be invited to interview in early December.
    4. The decision on your application will be sent to you in early January.

That's basically the process for applying to Oxford. It's undoubtedly a more stressful application than that to other universities, but that shouldn't deter you from applying because, after all, it is Oxford. The purpose of steps 2 and 3 are to provide Oxford with additional material with which to judge your application. Whereas most universities judge your application on 4 things (reference, GCSEs, predicted grades and personal statement), Oxford judges you on at least 6 (reference, GCSEs, predicted grades, personal statement, admissions test score and interview.) In reality, an Oxford-calibre student will also share their AS grades in their reference as a 7th indicator, but this is optional unlike at Cambridge.

Bear in mind that this process is very similar to the process for Cambridge, the one difference being that declaring AS scores is compulsory and there's a differently organised "pool" for interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Van-Ellison)
    Hey there!

Pretty comprehensive reply previous.

The ELAT exam happens at the beginning of November and there are sample tests on the Oxford website.

For art, I have seen posts on TSR that you are unlikely to get in without first doing a foundation course somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1akshay)
    Yes, you certainly stand a chance!

There's plenty of information available on the subject on the internet. Oxford's website is probably your best first bet, followed by TSR (of course). As it stands, the process is quite different to most other universities, but not excessively so:

1. You still apply via UCAS (your school will tell you about this), but the deadline is October 15th instead of January 15th.
    2. You will probably have to sit a test. For English Lang/Lit, you'll have to sit the English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT). You need to register for this test yourself through your sixth form, and the test will be done in school.
    3. If your application is taken to the next stage, you will be invited to interview in early December.
    4. The decision on your application will be sent to you in early January.

That's basically the process for applying to Oxford. It's undoubtedly a more stressful application than that to other universities, but that shouldn't deter you from applying because, after all, it is Oxford. The purpose of steps 2 and 3 are to provide Oxford with additional material with which to judge your application. Whereas most universities judge your application on 4 things (reference, GCSEs, predicted grades and personal statement), Oxford judges you on at least 6 (reference, GCSEs, predicted grades, personal statement, admissions test score and interview.) In reality, an Oxford-calibre student will also share their AS grades in their reference as a 7th indicator, but this is optional unlike at Cambridge.

Bear in mind that this process is very similar to the process for Cambridge, the one difference being that declaring AS scores is compulsory and there's a differently organised "pool" for interviews.
    thank you very much! I always wished to oxford but it's kinda like the impossible dream you know? There is that constant feeling of "there is no chance of getting in". Thank you for the information! Hopefully Oxford will be something I can realistically aim for!

ReputationRep:
    The only way chance =0 is if you don't apply. Just make sure you are enthusiatic about the subject. (And if you don't get it, it is at least slightly a luck of the draw thing, there are lots of wonderful, probably saner places out there)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.