The Student Room Group

Could I get into Oxford to study medicine or biological sciences?

Hi all.
I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm about to take my AS mocks. I'm seriously considering medicine and I have done some work experience, as well as doing a weekly volunteering slot at my local hospital on an oncology ward. But, I also like the look of bio sci.

So, I was wondering whether I had a chance at getting into Oxford.
I got 8 A*s in maths, further maths, physics, bio, chem, French, music and RS. I got two As in geog and english language and a B in English literature.
I am predicted 4 As at AS and I'm studying biology, chemistry, maths and music. I think I'll shorten it down to 3 next year (drop music). I'm going to do gold DoE and I've got grade 8 in singing. I don't really know if I have a chance to be honest.

Do you think I could get in for medicine or biological sciences at Oxford? And do you have any tips on anything else I could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marina Pearson
Hi all.
I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm about to take my AS mocks. I'm seriously considering medicine and I have done some work experience, as well as doing a weekly volunteering slot at my local hospital on an oncology ward. But, I also like the look of bio sci.

So, I was wondering whether I had a chance at getting into Oxford.
I got 8 A*s in maths, further maths, physics, bio, chem, French, music and RS. I got two As in geog and english language and a B in English literature.
I am predicted 4 As at AS and I'm studying biology, chemistry, maths and music. I think I'll shorten it down to 3 next year (drop music). I'm going to do gold DoE and I've got grade 8 in singing. I don't really know if I have a chance to be honest.

Do you think I could get in for medicine or biological sciences at Oxford? And do you have any tips on anything else I could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here are the entry statistics for medicine at Oxford, which shows the grades achieved by successful applicants http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

Oxford use GCSEs heavily in the admissions process, yours are very good, so they do not rule you out; although the majority of successful applicants have more A*s.

Any course at Oxford is competitive, medicine is notoriously considered one of the more difficult courses to get onto, but in practice this does not mean that other subjects are any easier to get an offer for. As you are debating whether it would be easier to get into Oxford for medicine or bio, it sounds like you may need to seriously ask yourself which is more important to you, doing medicine or going to Oxford.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks you guys for your advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As said, they are two completely different degrees. One is a vocational degree gearing you up to be a doctor, the other is open-ended. What is it that makes you want to be a doctor? Lets see what you get out of work experience.

One thing I would say though: Oxford does lots of very lucrative choral scholarships. Look into that if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending