Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    During my first year at uni my familys income was within the £0-25,000 threshold, which meant that I acquired the full maintenance grant. The second year however, they worked out that our income has passed the £45,000 threshold, and now I receive no grant, plus no more lower tuition fees, meaning that I am missing out on nearly £6,000 which I was entitled to the first year. They say it is due to a lump sum my mother got when she retired but we are struggling to provide evidence of this and have sent everything we could. I am struggling to pay for rent/food and find it unfair that I lose out on this much. Is there anything else I could do or is there any advice I could get? Is an appeal necessary?
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello,

The lump sum would be counted if it was taxable, however for your current academic year, we would have based the assessment on your family's finances from 12/13 - was this the year your mother received her lump sum?

If the household income has since dropped by at least 15%, we can assess you based on your estimated household income for the current tax year.

You can do this by getting your parents to fill out a current year income form and sending that into us for reassessment:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...ails/year-1415

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.